Summer is here and it is just a matter of time before the Howard Pulley Pro-City League starts up again. For those of you who do not know this is great summer league for mostly local professionals (NBA, NBDL, Europe, etc) and D1/D2 players. Guys like Kahlid El-Amin, Kamron Taylor and Troy Hudson played last year against Al Nolen Blake Hoffarber, Damien Johnson and the host of newcomers on last year's roster.
I went to a night of games last year to get a look at Sampson, Iverson, Bostick and Joseph. The games have little defense as you can imagine but it is a great way to get a glimpse of what we will see on the new Barn floor next year. Marcus Fuller has posted what Gophers will be playing with each other.
Team El-Amin Fishhouse (defending league champs)
- Paul Carter and Devron Bostick (and Travis Busch)
Troy Hudson's Enterprises
- Royce White (no Gopher teammates playing on White's team)
The TRP Group
- Ralph Sampson, Justin Cobbs, Damien Johnson
Errol Carlstrom Playaz
- Trevor Mbwake and Devoe Joseph
- Al Nolen and Colton Iverson
- Blake Hoffarber, Lawrence Westbrook, Rodney Williams and walkon Dominique Dawson
It is important to note that the rosters are kind of fluid but to start with if you take a look at this summer's schedule and look for the above teams. I urge you to go, the games are free and it is athletic basketball. Like I mentioned above it is not full of defense but I learned early on that Bostick could not shoot from the outside and that Iverson was going to be a tough player on the inside.
- Former Gopher defenseman, Crystal native and current San Jose Sharks assistant coach, Todd Richards has reportedly been offered the Wild head coaching position. I don't know if this is a good hire or bad hire (I know little about hockey) but check out Hockey Wilderness for quality commentary.
- Another Marcus Fuller story, this one on Bryant Allen. He will be your next two-sport athlete to wear maroon and gold. Allen is receiving a scholarship to play football, but he is also very good at basketball and will compete for playing time at point guard in Tubby's system.
- One of my favorite collge hoops blogs is Beyond the Arc and they have their 2009-2010 Top 25 v2. This one has the Gophers at 19th.
- Finally, I don't know howII missed this but Varsity Blue pointed me back to Charley Walters who says Gopher's offensive line coach Phil Meyers may be sending his son to Cretin Durham Hall. Why does this matter? Have I ever posted about the school choices of any Gopher coaches? No, but the younger Meyers will be attending school with Seantrel Henderson (um the number one recruit in the nation). I don't know what kind of NCAA rules prohibit the younger Meyers from talking with Seantrell but I don't think USC or Michigan are going to be enrolling their kids at CDH.