Sorry for the late edition (again). JG will be posting a detailed look at Jeff Wills, it was tentatively planned for today but you can expect to see it tomorrow.
Tubby landed his second verbal commitment of the 2010 class. Austin Hollins is a 6'4" SG/SF out of Germantown, Tennessee. Austin is the son of Lionel Hollins, current head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies. On the surface this looks to be an under the radar type of commitment. Hollins has no ESPN evaluation and Rivals has not yet issued him a star rating. He had offers from Memphis, Arkansas and Oregon State but chose the Gophers after visiting this past weekend.
The current recruiting class now has a center and a shooting guard, I would expect that the last scholarship to either be 5-star guard, Cory Joseph or it will go to a small forward and fill that position of need. The incoming class will be filling the shoes of Damian Johnson, Lawrence Westbrook and Devron Bostick so getting some help on the wing has to be a priority. This class is not shaping up to be a big time class and you won't see this class on any top 25 ranking lists, but the current roster is loaded with young kids who will dominate the lineup for this year and next. I'm sure that has been a significant factor as some of the higher ranked players from around the country have not bought into the Tubby regime this year.
Let's take a look around at some of the other Gopher sports competing this fall.
- Gopher Volleyball is currently ranked 9th in the country and are hosting a couple rivals this weekend. Get out and watch the Gophers defeat the Badgers on Friday and the Hawkeyes on Saturday.
- Gopher Women's Soccer opens their Big Ten season hosting Iowa tonight. The team is 6-2-1 and has been ranked at times this season.
- Gopher Men's and Women's Cross Country are both ranked in the top 20. The men are lead by Hassan Mead and are ranked 17th while the women are pre-season 8th in the country. This is a big weekend for both running squads as the U is hosting the prestigious Roy Griak Invitational.
- I answered some questions for Lake the Posts, an outstanding Northwestern blog. I thought I should give him some insight into the Gophers beforehand so he won't feel so bad after we destroy the Wildcats on Saturday.
- Also check out one of the newest SBN blogs, Sippin on Purple to get more Northwestern coverage.