The dawn of a new era in Golden Gopher football is beginning this morning. Let's get the links going (cause there are a LOT of them). The timing is unusual but it does allow Maturi to do some work and not rush the decision. Hopefully we can have someone in place before the bowl season so the new coach can have time to rebuild the recruiting class.
I believe that making the decision to go in a different direction now is important for many reasons. Not the least of which is to be out front in our search, so that we can look at candidates on our timetable.
I'm excited that Mr. Maturi is anxious to get the process moving and I hope we have a new coach in place as early as possible.
- If you missed it take a look at my exhaustive list of potential candidates. The list is long and many are not very realistic but who knows what direction this process will go. I started the list weeks ago and have been adding/subtracting after conversations with the other TDG writers. I'll start with individual profiles today.
- And let the rumors of real candidates start and Marcus Fuller has the first. "Dungy reportedly recommended Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, who is interested in the job, according to a tweet Sunday by Rivals.com college football writer Tom Dienhart." Aside from that rumor, this is a really good article about Brewster coming in like a lion and leaving like a lamb.
- ESPN Rittenberg reminds us that Brewster set the bar high but failed to deliver.
- John Shipley of the Pioneer Press recaps the press conference and Maturi's next move.
- Tom Powers recaps the tenure of Brother Brewster."At some point, positive thinking becomes wishful thinking. And at some point, wishful thinking falls under the category of "pipe dream."
- Bob Sansevere calls the current Gopher situation a train wreck.
- Phil Miller recaps the Gopher firing and adds Brewster to the list of Gopher coaches unable to turn this program into a winner.
This paper tells us there are rumors that Marc Trestman is on the short list of candidates for the Gopher job.
- FBT has his initial reactions to the Brewster Pink Slip.
Gopher Illustrated has their coaching hot board. They include Mangino and Mike Bellotti. I should include Bellotti but I don't think Mangino is a realistic candidate. This will be the place to go to find out where the current 15 commitments stand on attending Minnesota.
I don't know if I've ever had so many links in a Nugz. What a weekend and what a day today is going to be. But we can all start looking forward.