- Josh Katzenstein of the Minnesota Daily has the best headline of the week:
- Enough football. Gopher basketball is now ranked 15th in the Nation for the AP poll. Michigan State and Ohio State weigh in at second and third place, respectively. We're in for a competitive season of Big Ten basketball.
- Trevor Mbakwe's outstanding play in Puerto Rico earned a few accolades. Mbakwe was named the co-Big Ten player of the week along with Ohio State's Jared Sullinger, and was also the MVP of the Puerto Rico Tip Off Tournament:
Junior Trevor Mbakwe scored in double figures for the fifth game in a row, finishing with 16 points and seven rebounds to win most valuable player honors for the Gophers after leading them to the Puerto Rico Tip-Off championship Sunday against West Virginia.
- Even a Villanova blog is taking notice of the Gophers.
- ESPN's Andy Katz was at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, and had the following comments in his tournament summary:
I was convinced Minnesota would be a factor when I saw it practice last month. The Gophers were just too big inside with Trevor Mbakwe, Ralph Sampson III, Colton Iverson and Maurice Walker to be a fluke.
- Here is but one of the many highlights from Puerto Rico: