Finally a good week and weekend for Gopher sports. I'll start with the opening weekend for Gopher Baseball.
A three-game set with Akron ended with two wins and a frustrating loss in the middle.
Game 1 - Juniors Seth Rosin and Scott Fern combined for a 6-0 shutout.
Game 2 - Gophers leave 9 men on base and lose 4-2.
Game 3 - Mike Kvasnicka's walk-off solo homerun sealed the 1-0 victory.
Kvasnicka had two home runs on the weekend but it was pitching that stuck out this weekend. Rosin, Fern, Allen Bechstein, Billy Stoule, Phil Isakkson and TJ Oakes combined for 20 2/3 inning of shutout baseball.
Next weekend the competition picks up in the Big East / Big Ten Challenge. St. John's, UCONN and Louisville are more talented than Akron and it should be a very good test for the Gophers.
- Gopher Men's Hockey swept a team above them in the standings.
- Gopher Women's Hockey won their second straight WCHA Championship. More to come on this later this morning.
- Tubby's boys have won two straight. As you know they beat Wisconsin on Thursday and then with just a day of rest they went out and avenged an earlier loss to Indiana. It is entirely possible that the Gophers are peaking but unfortunately it may be a little too late. We'll find out with Purdue coming to town this week.
- Even Gopher wrestling got a big, although not an upset, win over Penn State.
- GopherSports.com has a Q&A with Devoe Joseph.