So mens basketball heads into the post season. A disappointing 18-win season resulting in a 6th place Big Ten finish. On the bright side we were 3-0 against Wisconsin and Iowa. And we did manage to upset a few ranked teams along the way. And we can take some comfort in knowing we handed Iowa their worst loss in 21 years can't we? We have beat them by more, I mean who can forget that epic 1902, 47-10 throttling.
Unfortunately barring 3 wins in the Big Ten Tourney (including over MSU and Pur) then it won't really matter and this team is NIT bound.
- A 35 point win over Iowa is fun, but congratulations to our outgoing seniors who all had very good games. Devron Bostick scored 8, which was nearly 20% of his season total. Lawrence Westbrook hit 20 for the 5th time of the season on 7/10 shooting. And Damian Johnson recorded a double-double with 10 points and 11 assists. Not a bad night for what is hopefully their last game at the Barn.
- Gopher baseball continues to struggle in the early part of the season but the managed to salvage game 3 of the DQ Classic by defeating Northwestern 8-4 on Sunday. Loyola Marymount was named the DQ Classic Champions.
- Gopher wrestling finished 2nd in the Big Ten Championships. Jayson Ness won his second Big Ten title and was named the Big Ten wrestler of the year! Mike Thorn also won a Big Ten title.
- Gopher Hockey also received help from their seniors as they earned a split with Wisconsin for the weekend.
- Things are looking pretty good for the Gophers in the 2009-10 Border Battle Cup. Minnesota currently holds a 390 - 170 advantage with 320 points remaining. Wisconsin currently holds the lifetime edge in the Cup winning 3 of the 5 years but things are changing!