Checking in from TCF Bank Stadium. The Spring game is about to begin and TDG is coming to you live from the pressbox.
The obvious questions people want answered...
1 - Adam Weber - has he improved? Will he lock in on receivers or spread the ball around to the open man?
2 - MarQuiese Gray - He should get his first real action, can he read a defense, make good decisions and take care of the ball?
more to follow I'm sure.
PLAY BY PLAY - analysis will follow after the game
1st DRIVE - first team Off vs. first team Def, Weber at QB
- Troy Stoudermire end around for 7 yards
DeLeon Eskridge first down run 4 yards (broke 2 tackles)
- DaJon McKnight false start
- Adam Weber 56 yard pass to an open Stoudermire down the left sideline to the 16
- Eskridge run of 4
- Eskridge first down run to the 4 yd line
- Eskridge 2 yard run to the 1 (2nd and goal)
- Eskridge 1 yards run for a TD
- 7-0 Offense...77 yards, 7 plays, 7 points
- Eskridge 5 carries, 19 yards
2nd DRIVE - Gray at QB, 2nd team vs. 2nd team
- Duane Bennett 3 yard run
- MarQueis Gray incomplete to Brandon Green, broken up by Kyle Henderson
- MarQueise Gray complete over the middle to AJ Barker, fumbled and recovered by the defense
- Defense gets 5 points
3rd DRIVE - Weber at QB
- Weber pass deep over the middle to McKnight (better catch than pass), 35 yards, 1st and goal from the 5
- Bennett run for 1
- Bennett run for 1, 3rd and goal from the 3
- Play-action pass intended for Eric Lair back of the endzone. Was covered, threw high where only Lair could catch it but he didn't.
- Defense 1 point for forced FG, Offense coverts FG
- Off-10 - Def-6
4th DRIVE - Alipate at QB with the 2nd teams
- R.J. Bucker carried, loss of 1 (1 pnt for Def), tackle by Carter
- Moses Alipate out pass to Green, gain of 11, first down
- END OF FIRST QTR - Off-10, Def-7
- Bennett 3 yard run, tackle by Ryan Grant
- Bennett 4 yard run on their own 38 yd line 3rd down and 3
- Buckner gain of 1, Jacobs tackle, punt, 1 pnt for the Def (forced punt)
- Off-10, Def-8
5th DRIVE - Gray at QB with the 1st team offense
- Eskridge gain of 3 to their own 26 yd line
- Eskridge gain of 1, tackle by Lewis and Wallace 3rd and 6
- Gray pass to Stoudermire over the middle, overthrew by at least 3 yards.
- 3 and out for the defense
- Off-10, Def-11
6th DRIVE - Alipate at QB with 2nd team
- Play-action to screen, poor throw to Bennett, incomplete
- Bennett gain of 7 on sweep, 3rd and 3
- Alipate in shotgun, snapped over his head for a loss of about 17 yards
- 3 and out for Def + sack (5 point play for Def)
- Off-10, Def-16
7th DRIVE - Weber at QB
- Eskridge 11 yard run, breaks a couple tackles, ChristynLewis forces him out of bounds (Eskridge 7 carries 33 yards)
- Eskridge 1 yard run, Lewis with tackle
- Weber out pass to Stoudermire, Carter on the coverage/tackle, 12 yard gain
- Weber incomplete to Stoudermire, checked off the RB in the flat covered by Maresh, went to deep flag route.
- Fake dive, pitch to Duanne Bennett for 33 yard gain! 1st and 10 on the 19
- Jon Hoese 4 yard carry
- Weber to McKnight, Carter broke up in the end zone. McKnight on post route, pass was on his back hip, knocked down by Carter.
- Weber to McKnight fade down sideline, Collado broke up. Catch was made but McKnight stepped out of bounds before the catch.
- Ellested FG is good. (3 pnts for Off, 1 pnt for Def)
- Off-13, Def-17
8th DRIVE - 1:53 left in half - Weber at QB (2 min offense)
- Weber incomplete to Stoudermire on out route, Pass was too far in front of receiver
- False start, 2nd and 15 from the offense 30 yd line
- Weber complete to McKnight over the middle on crossing route, Rallis with the tackle, gain of 8
- Weber pass to Green, over the LB, in front of CB (very nice pass). Green falls out of bounds, gain of 10, first down.
- Weber screen to Bennett. Bennett ran in front of blockers, tackled by Collado, 6 yd gain.
- Weber to Green, incomplete on crossing route. Pass was perfect, Green dropped. 3rd and 4.
- Weber in shotgun, pass to Stoudermire as he was getting hit. Stoudermire dropped or broken up by Watkins. 35 seconds left, 4th and 4
- Weber pass to Bennett. Blitz came from left side, Bennett leaked to that spot, Weber touch pass for a 7 yard gain and 1st down.
- Weber pass to Stoudermire incomplete. Threw behind (looked intentional since it was a deep ball down the hash), Stoudermire got hands on it but dropped. It was a tough catch but thrown to the right spot.
- Weber complete to McKnight on crossing route, Spencer Reeves on the tackle. 10 yard gain. 1st and 10 on the 29. 16 seconds left.
- Eskridge 11 yard run, tackle by Kirksey. First down, timeout, 8 seconds left. Ball on the 18.
- Weber incomplete pass on slant route to Lair. Maresh broke up. Bad pass, should have been picked.
- Ellested FG (3 pnts for Off, 1 pnt for Def)
- Off-16, Def-18
- Weber has mostly looked very good. A couple dropped passes, 1 bad pass and a couple passes that were not as precise as you want. Stats are not outstanding, but he has led the only scoring drives. 8/16, 144 yards.
- Gray looks confident, but not sharp on his passes. One out pattern was a good throw, another over the middle was late then knocked out for a fumble and he missed an open crossing route that would have been a 20+ yard play. He missed that one bad. 1/3, 7 yards.
- Alipate 1/2, 12 yards.
- Both backs have looked good at times. Neither are looking amazing but both are looking OK. Eskridge 45 yards on 9 carries. Bennett 52 yards on 7 carries.
- first team OL has been solid. All QBs have had decent time and there have been some holes.
- To be honest I haven't watched the defense too much. Carter has made a couple plays, Christyn Lewis has made several tackles. Maresh covered a back very nicely out in the flat and he broke up a slant that should have been picked.
- McKnight has been the primary target. 3 catches 53 yards. Stoudermire 2 catches 68 yards.