Gopher Hockey is no longer unbeaten. After dominating Vermont 6-0 on Friday the Gophers dropped their first game of the year on Sunday afternoon. The Catamounts scored three goals in a three minute stretch during the second period erasing the early 3-1 Gopher lead.
undisciplined play by the Gophers continued to put them in a hole they could not dig out. After being out-muscled and not showing up Friday, Vermont tried to be more physical Sunday and it paid off as the Gophers let them get under their skin. Minnesota was thrown off of their game and had 14 minutes of penalties in the second period. Many of them, including a double minor by Seth Ambroz where he committed two separate penalties on the same play and two retaliation minors, were unnecessary.
All those penalties finally took their toll on an over-extended Gopher penalty kill.
There goes the undefeated season but sometimes a loss helps to refocus. Up this weekend is a trip to Alaska-Anchorage
- New Gopher Basketball beat writer for the STrib, Amelia has an update on Mo Walker. Well, kind of an update. It has a Mo quote or two but his condition is the same and a timeline is unknown. So nothing to report.
- SB Nation has a slight recap of the Nebraska game saying sometimes it just isn't your year (or 50).
- Here is a brief look at the Gopher PG candidates.
- The Journal Courier predicts a 6th place finish in the Big Ten for the Gophers this year.
- The U's athletic department hired a new "associate athletics director for administration and finance and chief financial officer." That has to be the longest official title for anyone working anywhere in the world. But congratulations to Tom McGinnis who is coming to us from Ohio State.
- I'm sure you have seen this but it is worth reading again as Chip Scoggins is officially calling for Joel Maturi to lose his job.
- Tubby is motivated.
- Kill is becoming a counselor.