Now that was a great weekend for Gopher fans. The big win by the men's basketball team was very nice but not as impressive as women beating #9-Ohio St. And the hockey team finally shook their Friday monkeys and earned a sweep over St. Cloud State.
My favorite takeaway from Saturday's win over Illinois was that Andre Hollins can actually play and will be a very good player for us. Amelia Rayno decided to write more about it.
"He was able to put the ball in his hand, because we recruited him as a point guard and I was impressed with the way he stepped up and made his free throws and just played like a very mature, senior player," coach Tubby Smith said. "And just being a freshman, just a special effort on his part."
I really was not expecting to see him playing that much down the stretch and in OT, but he played great and maybe this was his coming out party.
- The Illini HQ reacts to the how the Illini was unable to finish out the game on Saturday.
- Hail to the Orange thinks that the Illini loss kind of sucked.
- After Mbakwe went down I believe I said that if the Gophers were to make the NCAA Tournament it would be Tubby's best coaching job yet. Amelia is wondering if he'll be coach of the year? In the Big Ten maybe.
- Blogging the Bracket has us up to a 10 seed with eight at-large teams behind us!
- As mentioned the Gopher women beat #9-Ohio State yesterday. This was only OSU's second loss of the season and a fairly huge upset.
- Unfortunately the wrestlers couldn't quite beat Iowa.
- Is Gopher Hockey finally back as Minnesota's Pride on Ice?
- Pioneer Press has a quick interview with Nick Bjugstad.
- They got a huge Friday win (FINALLY) and then won an exciting game on Saturday to earn the sweep.
- And they now have a five point lead over Duluth in the standings! Still have four weekend's to go to earn a conference championship but this was a very nice weekend for the Gophers.