Only 5 shopping days till Christmas! And we are in a brief lull of Gopher athletics before we hit the Big Ten season and it is near impossible to keep up.
For now there is not a whole lot going on.
Gopher football made one signing official yesterday. JUCO linebacker Damien Wilson signed his letter of intent.
We'd like to Officially Welcome LB Damien Wilson to the #Gophers Family! Damien will enroll in January, Ski U Mah!— GopherGridiron (@GopherGridiron) December 19, 2012
Matt's Scroll of the Sworn for Wilson is a must read.
We have one for the class of 2013, more to come and potentially more to sign soon and be here for classes in January.
- Speaking of recruiting, Gopher verbal commit, Nate Andrews has received offers from Alabama and Tennessee. It is one thing to beat out a middling SEC school, it is another to hold off the home-state school who just happens to be playing for their 2nd straight national title. For now he is "pretty firm" to Minnesota in spite of the Bama offer. Most expect he'll change his mind, not very many kids from Alabama are going to choose Minnesota over an offer from Alabama. Playing time might be free-er as a Golden Gopher but I don't know what else we have to sell.
- Marcus Fuller LOVES his quarterback controversies. It wasn't long ago he was wondering if Gray would be the team's starting QB, and he quickly turned to next season's competition for the starting QB job.
- Did you guys hear that Christian Ponder got married on Monday? Strange, but maybe it will settle him down a little.
- Anyone remember the hit on Georgia's quarterback in the SEC title game? It was brutal. It is such a good thing that the SEC decided this year to take a stance on player safety. Because a clear helmet-to-helmet hit would warrant a suspension right? Not when the SEC has a vested interest in Alabama winning the national title. I'm sure the "internal actions" were more than enough punishment for the brutal hit.
- The Athens Banner Herald's Loran Smith interviewed Tubby Smith. "He is confident his Minnesota teams will move up in the Big Ten standings for a number of reasons, not just because of his belief in himself and his team. "There’s really good basketball talent in this state," he said as he headed off for an evening with Bruce Springsteen. "But I don’t want to talk too much about that," he said. "I don’t want anybody else finding out about that."
- Is anyone interested in pitching for the Twins? Here is their official questionnaire and application.
- Gopher baseball announced their 2013 schedule. They open up their brand new stadium against Ohio State April 5-7. Get your tickets now.
- Amir Coffey is the son of former Gopher great, Richard Coffey. He is a freshman for Hopkins and will hopefully follow in his dad's footsteps to Williams Arena someday. He was interviewed by GopherHole.