Lots of news.
Gopher Football Spring practice - began yesterday with Kill's opening press conference.
- GopherSports.com has a Spring Central page that has some good info, I'm sure it will be continually updated so bookmark it.
- FBT was there and gives a good recap of some position changes. The most shocking to me is Brock Vereen moving to safety!?! He seemed to be in a good groove at corner by the end of the season and appeared to be a lock to start opposite Stoudermire. But with a few JUCO corners coming in and a lack of talent at safety, maybe this will be a good move.
- Star Tribune's front sports page has video of Kill's press conference. And they talk about how very little is certain as Gopher's head into spring practice.
- GopherIllustrated has their first spring notebook.
- Q&A with MarQueis Gray.
- Sasevere Q&A with Mike Rallis.
- Did you hear? Start spreading the news! Gopher Basketball has earned a trip to NYC for the NIT Final Four at Madison Square Garden. Nobody is denying that this is clearly the secondary tournament but winning three true road games and getting to the NIT Final Four is an accomplishment. If we can get excited for a mediocre football bowl game (which 58% of NCAA football gets to participate in), we can get excited about making and doing well in the NIT (29% of basketball teams get into NCAA or NIT).
- Star Tribune's recap of the Middle Tennessee State win.
- Fuller's recap at Pioneer Press.
- Looking ahead to next year there are already a ton of roster rumors. There is speculation that Maverick Ahanmisi and/or Chip Armelin may be thinking about leaving the program, largely due to playing time. I read another rumor that Joe Coleman was frustrated earlier in the year but that would seem to be a terrible idea. I think that one is cleared up by now. He and Andre could have something special in the next few years. (no link, just message board rumors)
- And finally there are rumors that former Hopkins SG, Trent Lockett is going to leave Arizona State to be closer to home. His mother reportedly has cancer and he wants to be closer to her. Those are unfortunate circumstances to be bringing in a talent like Lockett but that would be a huge addition to the roster. Considering there are extenuating circumstances he may even be able to play immediately (see Paul Carter). House of Sparky with a nice post on Lockett.
- Royce White is leaving Iowa State for the NBA. Best of luck to him.
- Michigan is losing three players to transfer Evan Smotrycz is the most notable name of the three.