Looking over the B1G Basketball Tournament 201 syllabus, here is some required reading for your Friday afternoon.
Post Northwestern Win Reading Materials (optional)
- Sippin on Purple is a little bitter about Northwestern basketball. "I'm tired and angry, and I completely hate Northwestern basketball. But it's a hate fueled by love and frustration that will stick with me until Northwestern makes the NCAA Tournament."
- Lake the Posts is heartbroken.
- Jerry Palm still has Northwestern in the Tournament (barely). Hard to believe 8-10 in the Big Ten when you only had 18 overall wins would be enough to get in. I believe most years 8 Big Ten wins is enough but you have to have 20 (probably 21) overall wins. And their RPI dropped to 57, which is pretty low. I don't see it.
- Myron, writing for ESPN Chicago, says NU didn't sound like a Tournament team and the certainly didn't look like one either.
Pre-Michigan Reading (Required)
- Ann Arbor.com has 4 things to watch for in tonight's game. They want Michigan to penetrate the lane, push the ball to tire our OT legs, run that damn pick-n-roll and "play with fire" (not sure what this one meant but 3 sounds like more than 4 so...).
- Detroit Free Press talks about the short time Minnesota has to prepare for Michigan. "it’s always a tough prep for a John Beilein team," says Tubby Smith. Michigan was probably prepping for for Northwestern all week anyway.
- Maize n Brew looks at the actual stats to "prove" that Michigan actually does NOT live and die by the three.
MGOBlog saw that post, did their own analysis and came to the other conclusion. "So as we go into the post season. Cackle with knowing glee if Michigan is driving the basket. Worry if we draw a zone team that forces us to shoot a lot of 3 pointers." Sounds good to me.
- Maize n Brew previews Minnesota. They are confident, hopefully the Wolverines are feeling rather confident as well. "Michigan stacks up well with Minnesota, especially with Sampson out. The backcourt for the Gophers is not able to reproduce their excellent performance against Northwestern -- Dre Hollins isn't going to put up 25 again. Trey Burke should slice through their guards and put up another very good game against the Gophers."
- Myron Medcalf (remember him?) previews the Friday games of the Big Ten Tournament.
More College Basketball Links (extra credit)
- Indiana's Verdell Jones III has torn his ACL and his career is over. Too bad for the Hoosier senior who endured some pretty bad seasons and will not be able to enjoy IU's return to the NCAA Tournament.
- Bruce Weber has officially been let go. This should come as no surprise. Potential candidates are already being thrown out in ESPN's rumor central.
- Auburn basketball is facing a point shaving scandal.
- SB Nation's Bracketology is always a fascinating read this time of year but things change so rapidly this weekend it is probably outdated by the time you click on the link.