As many of you know, yesterday was the final game played at Siebert Field where the Gophers have played baseball since 1971. The Gophers beat St. Thomas 9-2 and improved to 27-20. Video below the other links has the stadium's final hit, a grand slam by Andy Henkemeyer.
Approximately 90 Gopher alums and their families came to the final Siebert Field game. Daughter of Siebert, Marilyn, threw out one of the ceremonial first pitches, along with former Gopher coach George Thomas and alum Terry Steinbach. Prior to the game, alums were allowed to take a few last swings at the storied facility, which housed the Gophers for the past 41 years.
It is the end of an era but there has to be some real excitement about the new facility set to be built!
- Dienhard of BTN has an interview up with Jerry Kill.
- MinnPost.com has a story on the end of the Siebert Field era.
- Ballpark Digest says goodbye.
- Pioneer Press says out with the old and in with the new.
- Gopher runner, Hassan Mead, breaks a school record and has qualified for Olympic Trials.
- On the Tennis team, Gopher freshman Leandro Toledo was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year.
- Some Badger news that is somewhat related to the Gophers. Freshman defenseman, Patrick Daly is leaving the Badgers and will play for St. Thomas. But their football team picked up a nice commitment from 4-star recruit Rob Wheelwright. Rob is the younger brother of former Gopher WR, Ernie Wheelwright.
- Former Gopher Mike Sherels is coming back to the Gopher program as an assistant coach. Sherels is a special assistant and head of alumni relations for football.
- This was on Yahoo's Dr. Saturday. A sweet Gopher ride.