Alright, this one week between Gopher basketball games thing really starts to get old once you start the week and you're waiting until Friday for hockey. This situation calls for a completely random "Would You Rather" question. So...
Would You Rather See:
Gopher Basketball team at a NCAA Regional (Sweet 16/Elite 8)?
Gopher Hockey at the Frozen Four?
Notes for the purposes of the hypothetical:
- You are seeing them in person (update: and can pick any seats you want).
- You can assume the hoopty ball Gophers are playing at whichever Regional you like best (DC, LA, Arlington, Indy).
- You can assume that the Gophers win the games (you could also assume they'd lose but then you'd be a horrible person).
- I chose the Regional for basketball primarily because at this point in the season it is more likely than a Final Four. Also, I think if you had to choose between Final Four/Frozen Four almost everyone who isn't a hockey fan first would pick Final Four and I wanted to make the choice more difficult if I could.
What would I choose?
It's a tough decision. I'm a basketball fan first and foremost so my initial gut reaction is to say NCAA Regional. But thinking it through I think I have to give the nod to the Frozen Four. Some reasons why:
- While it may be played in a neutral professional venue, the one redeeming quality of a Frozen Four is that it is played in an arena designed to hold hockey. The same cannot be said of half of the Regional venues.
- The Frozen Four is played in Pittsburgh this year. For some, that might be a downside. But I really want to see a Pirates game at the Pirates stadium (always called one of the best in baseball) and they happen to be at home that Friday night. So that's a plus for me.
- Of the 4 Regionals, I only want to spend time in DC. But I'm already headed there in August for a wedding.
- Only the Frozen Four gives you the chance to see the Gophers win a national title.