Alright, I'd love to be the guy who puts together a great recap with lots of tidbits that wow you with my hockey knowledge but...I am not that guy. I'm the guy who's trying to not to look out of place as Rachel Blount of the STrib and Drew Claussen of The Daily ask actual questions. So I'm going to stick with some simple thoughts and the fruits of my quiet, goofy labor (i.e. video clips of other people asking Condon, Bjugy, and Ambroz questions). Oh, and commenter 3 stars. My doing a recap tonight means the Commenter 3 Stars moves to a more prominent position.
- YAIS! Seriously though...YAIS! Solid win for the Gophers.
- Gophers had 61 total shots and put 43 of them on goal (.704). I don't know if that's good, but it seemed impressive to me. In the first period 20 of their 24 shots were on goal (.833).
- Overall, the Gophers outshot the Badgers 43-30 in SOG.
- Gophers were strong on the PP again, going 3-4. Given all the chances it would have been nice to see them get a full strength goal too, but there's not need to be greedy.
- Wilcox was a stud. The first goal was more on the defense hanging him out to dry IMO and I'll be honest, I never got the best look at the 2nd one.
- Seemed like a good showing by Gophers fans who made it down.
- As I noted in the gamethread, the Gophers seemed to let UW move too freely in our zone. If Wilcox hadn't been in BRICKWALL mode things could have been different.
- Doug McCleod's mustache is even more impressive in person.
- I'm a really tall guy, so when Bjugy walks out and my first thought is "DAMN he's pretty tall too" you can trust that it's true. Obviously I knew he was tall beforehand, but just seeing him in person cemented it.
- Random fact that I put up on Twitter earlier...the Badgers had only trailed going into the 3rd six times this season. Thanks to the Gophers they are now 1-5-1 in those six games.
- Definitely felt like the refs were letting them play throughout the game.
- Handy factoid thanks to the Badger student section...a glove save by Wilcox is worthy of earning a quick "SIEVE" in his direction. I would have thought they'd wait for him to miss it.
- I will never tire of Kyle Rau's ability to piss people off. The Badger students went wild every time someone would hit him. He has got to be one of the most hated players in the WCHA and he manages to do it without being a complete goon. His trolling skills are top notch. RESPECT!
- It is always, without question, better to be dead than red!
Postgame Interview Videos
Commenter 3 Stars
1) Erik T - for his wonderful remix of "On Wisconsin"
2) Garrick - For passing along a critical microwave PSA from the Fox Network (seriously guys, cook your foods safely).
3) Insert Name - For being so excited about goal #3 that he missed the Funnel portion of the Funnel chant.