For the first time in my lifetime I have a reason to kinda, sorta, just a tiny bit of a reason to like Wisconsin-Madison. It has nothing to do with sports, but the University's carillonneur (that is a person who plays a carillon, duh) played the Game of Thrones theme song on campus. This is kind of cool, but it is still better dead than red.
Moving on to Gopher things.
- Rashad Vaughn and his Wisconsin Playground Elite AAU team did well in the EYBL event in LA last weekend. Good article on his weekend and recruitment a bit on the Zagsblog.
- UPDATED: Minnesota Daily talks about how Minnesota hasn't lost a step in recruiting the local Big Three. "I wouldn't say it was a setback at all," Apple Valley head coach Zach Goring said of the coaching change. "I think the Gophers are still very much involved for Tyus [Jones]."
- Sticking with basketball, Daquein McNeil received a really nice writeup in the Baltimore Sun.
- Amir Coffey is a young Hopkins star and he did a Q&A with Gopher Hole.
- The incredibly early Bracketology for 2014 is out with Minnesota as one of the first four out.
- Tubby Smith couldn't hang on to Tech's talented young point guard. I'd make a joke like, "sound familiar?" but I don't want to take a cheap shot. I actually have a lot of respect for Coach Smith and wish him the best, but his offense could really use a good point guard.
- Andre Hollins gets a very nice profile from GopherSports.com. MUST READ!
- Peter Westerhaus was injured while vacationing in the Grand Canyon with his family. This is fairly serious but to be honest it could have been critical.
- Gopher Hole has a good reference list of Minnesota kids in the football class of 2014.
- Nate Sandell has a nice profile of Scott Ekpe and his importance to the Gopher defensive line.
- Joe Christensen gives highlights from Friday's scrimmage.
- Gopher baseball had their series with Michigan State cancelled due to weather. They currently sit atop the Big Ten standings (due to win %) and their next two series are against the two bottom teams in the standings before a home showdown with #2 Nebraska. They are also receiving votes in the College Baseball Daily Mid-Major Poll.
- Moving away from Gopher related info. Twinkie Town has a great interview with Twins assistant GM, Rob Anthony.
- Also in SBN news, this article on advanced stats for Volleyball that is being developed by Streaking the Lawnis rather interesting.