Lincoln Plsek wears number 85 and today is 85 days until Gopher Football. Some fun facts about Plsek...
From West, Texas born and raised. On the oil fields is where he spent most of his days. Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool and all playing some football for Reicher High School. When a couple of coaches thought he was pretty good. Starting hanging out in his neighborhood. He mostly played defensive line which made is mom ill. So she said, "You're moving to Minnesota to play for Coach Kill."
Don't worry, I won't quit my day job, nor will this be a regular feature on TDG.
On to the Nugz.
- Henry Ellenson (brother to Wally) competed to make the elite U16 national team. He did not make the cut from 30 down to 12 but talked about his experience. Hopkins guard, Amir Coffey was also part of the tryouts and also did not make the final cut.
- Iowa athletics was possibly the worst in the Big Ten last year.
- This is a cool article about the trials and tribulations of being an assistant college basketball coach. Part of me really wanted this life, but it is a major grind and probably best that I didn't get some early breaks to lead me down this path.
- Phil Steele listed his All-Big Ten teams. Only three Gophers earned mention. RaShede Hageman was 1st team, Zach Epping was 4th team and Derrick Wells was also 4th team.
- GopherIllustrated looks back at previous thoughts and notes on the Gopher's newest forward, Joey King.
- The Des Moines Register profiles King as he leaves the Drake Bulldogs.
- Gopher LHP, Tom Windle is likely going to be a high draft pick in this weekend's MLB draft. He could be a late 1st round pick or possibly and early 2nd rounder. Selfishly I hope he goes really late and returns to the Gophers! But this SBN profile thinks his stock is at it's highest.
- Other Gophers and their summer baseball locations. Most will be playing throughout the NW League but a couple are on rosters in the prestigious Cape Cod League.
- Sports pundits don't have to be right, just confident.
- Texas blog, Burnt Orange Nation, looks at the career of Rick Barnes and how he fits at Texas. Some similar themes and discussions that were had here a few months ago.
- The Dallas Cowboy's entire draft board was pieced together by the Cowboy's SBN blog. This makes the Viking's picks look awfully good.
- Lastly, below is a documentary of Zach Mottla's recovery from his broken leg. 36 minutes long but worth watching if/when you have the time.