Scene: TDG's secret bunker
beneath TCF Bank Stadium in an undisclosed location. Jeffrick, GoAUpher, and GopherNation are sitting around the conference room table drinking bourbon and planning how to edit Matt's next post. GopherNation is reading Twitter on his phone.
GoAUpher: GN, can I see Twitter for a sec? [GN hands him the phone] Huh, that's odd. I thought that would be big news.
GopherNation: You thought what would be big news?
GoAUpher: Well, there seems to be an absence of a certain sportswriting piece. A headline regarding mass awareness of a certain exterior athletic event.
GopherNation: What are you talking about?
GoAUpher: Oh, have you not heard? It was my understanding that everyone had heard.
GopherNation: Heard what?
Jeffrick: GN, don't!
GoAUpher starts signing and dancing about outdoor hockey being the word.
That's right everyone, this Friday is the Hockey City Classic! OUTDOOR HOCKEY OUTDOOR HOCKEY OUTDOOR HOCKEY! Get excited people. And if you're not going, what's wrong with you? You won't lose a toe or finger to frostbite because your love of the Gophers will keep you warm. Here are all the details for the whole weekend for both the Men's and Women's teams.
THE BASICS - GOPHER MEN
Opponent: Ohio State Buckeyes
When and Where:
Hockey City Classic: Friday, Jan 17th; 8 PM CST; TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
Hockey Day Minnesota: Saturday, Jan 18th; 5PM CST; Mariucci Arena, Minneapolis, MN
Friday TV: Big Ten Network
Monday TV: Fox Sports North
Radio: ESPN 1500, both nights. You can also listen to the game via the ESPN1500 app for your mobile device.
Internet: BTN2Go (Friday only) for your computer or mobile device.
THE BASICS - GOPHER WOMEN
Opponent: Mankato State Mavericks
When and Where:
Hockey City Classic: Friday, Jan 17th; 4:30 PM CST; TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
Hockey Day Minnesota: Sunday, Jan 18th; 1:07 PM CST; Verizon Wireless Center, Mankato, MN
Internet Audio: Gopher All-Access, both games
Internet Video: Gopher All-Access, Friday only
1) Let it snow. There is talk of snow showers on Friday night. MAKE IT HAPPEN JOBU!
2) I really wish these outdoor games weren't conference contests. In the abstract (and in my attendance) I think the outdoor games are a lot of fun and a good thing. But the unpredictable nature of the weather and ice conditions (plus the already smaller NHL sheet) always favor the non-finesse or less talented team (i.e. ANYONE BUT THE GOPHERS). I don't like putting conference points on the line in that situation, but I also wouldn't have the Gophers playing on Monday nights. I'm a curmudgeon like that.
3) STUBS + TWO GOPHER GAMES + ENTRY/EXIT ABILITIES DURING THE WOMEN'S GAME TO WARM UP + A FLASK + OUTDOOR HOCKEY UNDER THE LIGHTS = DANCE OF JOY!
ED NOTE: For the purposes of this image I'm Balki and gopherguy05 is Larry. Because you know Balki would be the guy wearing Zubaz.
- Gopher Hockey: The Daily Gopher Adds a Hockey Writer
- Minnesota Basketball: Gophers vs. Ohio State - TV Schedule, Odds, Online Streaming and Other Info
- Minnesota Football: Looking Back at the Seniors and Ahead to 2014- Offense
- Minnesota Football Recruiting: Less Than 1 Month Till National Signing Day a Gopher Recruiting Primer
- Gopher Basketball And Their Chances To Make NCAA Tournament...Bubble Watch