The second installment of the Big Ten Bloggers Roundtable, this one hosted by Dave at Maize n Brew.
1. We're two weeks in and everyone in the Big Ten, minus the two Michigan schools, are 2-0. This week marks the end of your early "tune-up" or serious OOC play. Are you satisfied with the way your team has played against the cupcakes on your schedule, or happy with the way they've competed against serious competition?
CUPCAKES? Who said anything about cupcakes? Northern Illinois is a sleeping giant in the MAC and Bowling Green already beat a ranked team. OK, so this isn't exactly a gauntlet of BCS bowl caliber teams, but I am absolutely pleased. It got very little press but we were actually a one win team last year. So starting out 2-0 regardless of who we play is tremendous. But I would not say that I am satisfied. Pleased? Yes. But if we finish 2-10 I wouldn't exactly feel satisfied.
2. You knew this was coming. This week's OMG Game of the Century!!!!1!!1!! until next week's OMG Game of teh Century!!!!1!!1!! is Ohio State versus Southern Cal. Who are you pulling for and why? Further, if you're pulling for one particular team tell me why they'll win, or won't. If you're like me and will be attempting to cure a sunburn from over exposure to the sun during the Michigan Notre Dame game by drinking large quantities of whiskey instead of watching the game, state your excuse.
I am pulling for Ohio State. I would love to have a signature win for the Big Ten so we don't have to hear how the Big Ten is somewhere between the MAC and App State. I realize that the conference as a whole is not as deep as some of the other BCS conferences, but I don't believe that we are utterly incapable of competing with anybody else. Ohio State is very good, USC is very good and it should be a fun game. But I am rooting for the Big Ten.
3. Besides the above mentioned Game of the Century, there are actually some decent match ups this week in the Big Ten. Purdue v. Oregon; Wisconsin v. Fresno State; Michigan v. Notre Dame; Michigan State v. Florida Atlantic; or Iowa v. Iowa State. I said decent. I didn't say they were all good. Pick the best game from that group, pick the worst game from that group, and Minnesota and Illinois bloggers must post an apology for scheduling Montana State and Louisiana Lafayette respectively.
If you want an apology, contact Glen Mason as this is still residual effects of his difficult scheduling.
I don't think Michigan State vs. Florida Atlantic is all that thrilling to watch, but the Gophers do play FAU in week 4 so that is the game that piques my interest the most. After that, I'd enjoy watching Michigan vs. Notre Dame. I witnessed the 2004 match up of this rivalry and even when it is essentially a cripple fight it is still fun to watch.
4. Out of Conference scheduling is always something that draws the ire of journalists and bloggers alike. You all know how weak your OOC really is. Admit it. You're sad. So fix it. Pick two teams out of conference you really wish your school would schedule. Nursing colleges and the Center for Veterinary Sciences are verboten. Pick two major conference middle to heavy weights or two heavy weight non-BCS conference programs to add to the schedule. (Please note you get to keep your two patsies per season).
I would love to see us schedule Notre Dame and Nebraska. We have been trying to schedule Notre Dame for a few years but their excuse is that they have too many Big Ten teams on their schedule already. But these programs have not played since 1938 and it would be a fun match up of two very old programs. It would be fun for Gopher fans.
Nebraska and Minnesota have played 51 times with Minnesota winning 29 of the contests. This is by far the most played rivalry outside of the Big T en.
But most Gopher fans alive have a bad taste in their mouth when Nebraska is mentioned as an opponent. The Huskers have won 14 straight including scores like 0-56, 0-48, 0-54 and 13-84. EIGHTY-FOUR points allowed! Not even Brewster's defense could give up that many points. It would be fun to play beat Nebraska.
For my patsies can I please still have the nursing school?
5. All college football fans love to tailgate. Even you, you mothers' basement welling bloggers, you. Name your beverage of choice on game days. Alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage, your readers need to these things about you, to judge you. Confirm all their suspicions.
I drink Maroon and Gold kool aid, you should try it sometime.