Someone will be your new offensive coordinator soon. It probably won't be that East Carolina assistant. He turned the Gophers down. So did others. Many others.
The latest hot name is Denver Broncos assistant Jedd Fisch. The Star Tribune has the rumors here. Buck Bravo has more here. By the time this publishes Wednesday morning, Fisch might well have admitted taking the job. Most didn't want it.
So, why is it so hard for a BCS level program that is presumably on the rise to hire an offensive coordinator? I understand that we are not USC, Florida or even Notre Dame; all of whom could take their pick of offensive coordinators. But this also is a Big Ten team. We have been rebuffed by position coaches at other major programs who presumably would appreciate an opportunity to take the next step. We have been turned down by offensive coordinators at non-BCS schools who presumably would love to take the reigns of an offense at a school with presumably more resources and presumably greater talent.
This is the list of candidates contacted, offered or interviewed...the position remains open.
- Major Applewhite - Tex RB coach
- Josh Huepel - OK QB coach
- Dana Holgorsen - Hou Off Cord
- Jeff Horton - St. Louis Rams special assistant
- Gunter Brewer - OK St co-Off Cord
- Todd Fitch - East Carolina Off Cord
So, what does Fisch know that these other guys don't? I guess it matters not. I'm sure he's tremendous.
- It looks like Tubby Smith's push for new practice facilities to keep up with the college hoops Joneses is in the works. The PiPress talks to Joel Maturi about a site search for new facilities. And the Minnesota Daily points out that John Beilein and his Wolverines are getting new digs fairly soon.
- Congratulations are in order for junior Ashley Ellis-Milan for being named co-Big Ten Player of the Week after averaging 18 points and 8 rebounds in wins over Ohio State and Michigan.
- The Ozone has a nice wrap up of last week's Big Ten basketball action.
- Over at The Slipper Still Fits (Gonzaga blog), there are bracket projections for your persual. The blogger has Minnesota as a #5 seed facing off against #12 USC. A Tim Floyd-Tubby Smith match-up could be fun.