The Star Tribune's Jim Souhan pens a very nice column on Williams Arena PA guy Dick Jonckowski. I thought the opening few grafs were great.
In 1964, Dick Jonckowski was standing outside Williams Arena, trying to figure out how to get in to watch his beloved Gophers, when the Michigan team bus pulled up. The great Cazzie Russell stepped out.
Jonckowski asked, "Mr. Russell, do you mind if I carry your bag?" Russell said, "Who cares?"
Jonckowski did. He carried the bag all the way to the Michigan locker room, then sneaked behind the Wolverines bench and stayed there all game.
"Nobody said a word," Jonckowski said. "Just unbelievable."
Great anecdote. I bet Jonckowski loves that story.
It's great when guys like Jonckowski get a little attention. Kudos to Souhan for finding a neat story to tell.
- The Pioneer Press has a Q&A with Trent Tucker as he preps to have his UofM number retired tonight at Williams Arena. I was just a pup when Tucker was playing, so I don't really have memories of him playing for the Gophers. Does anyone here have any memories of Tucker? I'd love to hear them.
- Slam Online ranks Royce White as the 25th best prospect in the Class of 2009 and Rodney Williams as the 27th best prospect in the Class of 2009. Only Illinois recruit DJ Richardson ranks higher among Big Ten commits.
- In his blog, Marcus Fuller talks with Devoe Joseph's brother, Cory, who, like his brother, has a D1 future on the basketball court. Tubby Smith, along with the likes of Rick Pitino, appear to be after the younger Joseph. In the same post, Fuller notes that Indiana will be without wingman Devon Dumes for some time after being suspended indefintely.
- The What Else? Show must be bored.
- The Daily 49er has your Dan Monson update. His LBSU squad still finds itself atop the Big West. I'd really enjoy an LBSU-Minnesota NCAA matchup. But something tells me the Gophers need to get to work to make that happen.
- Off topic. I need to find new television shows to get into. Heroes is just going way south. Mad Men isn't on right now. The Wire is defunct. Anyone watch Damages? I hear that's pretty good. Recommendations?