GET OUT AND WATCH SOME GOPHER BASEBALL THIS WEEKEND!
The Gophers are hosting Purdue which will be an important series for earning an NCAA Tournament at-large bid. This team is fun to watch, it is CHEAP entertainment and the weather will be subpar this weekend so head to the Dome and support the Golden Gopher baseball team (tell them TDG sent you).
Reasons to watch...
- Derek McCallum - potentially Big Ten Player of the Year, currently battling to win the batting triple crown (if you replace runs scored instead of HRs).
Eric Decker -
supplanted three year starterhas filled in without missing a beat for the injured, Matt Nohelty, in CF because he is good. We all know about Decker on the gridiron, go check him out on the diamond.
- Young and emerging pitching staff. This is a group largely made up of sophomores and they are near the top of the Big Ten statistically .
- Young and emerging infield - redshirt freshmen starting at 3B, 1B and 2B, they will be a nucleus to some good teams over the next couple seasons.
- Matt Nohelty - senior DH who is working towards setting a school record for stolen bases. Nohelty is also a candidate for Lowe's Senior CLASS Award.
If you can't go tonight you can catch the Gophers on the Big Ten Network. Then head to the Dome Sat or Sunday for some quality and cheap entertainment.
- The Tubby Smith Act is up for debate in the Minnesota Legislature. This would essentially keep non-salary compensation off the public record for public employess.
- Interesting website called WISCOSOTA Sports. Check them out.
- Gopher Women's Tennis defeated Penn State in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament and is set to face top see and 10-time defending champ, Northwestern.
- I'll finish with another Gopher baseball related story. Glen Perkins has easily been the ace of the Twin's staff this season. The former Gopher is 1-1 with a 1.50 ERA in the early part of the season but his numbers don't truly show how well he has pitched this year.