As GN noted below, the Gophers drew Baylor in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Here's what UofM communication folks put out about the postseason berth.
This NCAA Tournament bid is the 29th for Minnesota, which is the most among any program in the Big Ten. It is also the 16th appearance for Golden Gopher head coach John Anderson, which is the most NCAA Tournament appearances by a Big Ten coach.
"I am extremely proud of this year's team," said Minnesota Head Coach John Anderson. "They played at a consistently high level week in and week out this year. Down the stretch this season, we were on the road for the final three weeks and our team continued to play well throughout that timeframe. This past week, we did a great job, after losing to a tough pitcher in our first game of the Big Ten Tournament, of battling back to get to the championship game. This team has worked hard all year, and deserves the opportunity to compete in the NCAA Tournament. I am excited for them that they will get a great opportunity to play in front of what is in my opinion one of the best college baseball atmospheres in the entire nation."
LSU enters the 2009 NCAA Tournament as the No. 3 overall seed in the tournament, and has a 46-16 record this season. The Tigers finished tied for first place in the SEC West with a 20-10 record, and won the SEC Tournament this past weekend. LSU defeated Minnesota 10-9 in an exciting NCAA Regional matchup in 2001.
Baylor brings a 29-24 overall record into the 2009 NCAA Tournament and is seeded No. 3 in the region. The Bears finished eighth in the Big Ten at 10-16, and went 2-1 in the Big 12 Tournament this past week.
And here's a link to the regionals and times for each game. It looks like the Gophers will face Baylor at 7 p.m. Friday night.
- Football coach Tim Brewster is fired up about recruiting ..... for Gophers wrestling.
- Sticking with Brewster, he spoke with Marcus Fuller of the PiPress and said the following, ""Recruiting is really going well," he said. "Going into your third year now, everything is in place. There's a lot of excitement. There's a lot of buzz out there about us. And you know what? We're going to have a good team."
- On the recruiting front, Brewster continues to get high marks. In this RIvals Q&A with their analysts, Brewster is given plaudits for his recruiting and it's suggested that the Gophers could surprise this year.
- Joel Maturi also talks to Marcus Fuller of the PiPress here about fundraising for a basketball practice facility and a new baseball stadium.
- Random link..... Ienjoyed this set of feaerless weekend predictions. John Calipari, Jake Peavy and Lane Kiffin coverage.