In the near future you'll be seeing a new feature here at TDG. I haven't nailed down the name yet, something like "Better Know a Gopher" or "Profiles in Gopher Excellence" or something along those lines. Essentially we are going to profile Gopher athletes, hopefully the best of Gopher athletes. All too often the athletes that dominate the headlines are those who grab the negative headlines. Royce White, Kevin Whaley, etc. But what gets lost is that there are hundreds of athletes who are excellent students, successful athletes and great kids who are setting themselves up to be outstanding contributors to society. Interview #1 is on tape and hopefully I'll get the time to get this out as soon as possible. The hope is that this will be a continual series highlighting kids across all the sports highlighting the best of Gopher athletics.
- Holy Ralph Sampson, where did that come from? 21 points and seven rebounds in a loss to Purdue, but that was easily his best game as a Gopher (and it was against a pretty good defender in JJ Johnson).
- baseball is going to play the very first game in Target Field. March 27th, tickets are $2 and you should all go watch one of the best teams in the Big Ten. But there won't be any Dome Dogs.
- Interesting historical piece on Black baseball in Minnesota and an exhibit at the Ramsey County Historical Society. The exhibit curator is Frank White, grandfather of former Gopher (?) Royce White.
- Gopher Illustrated has an interview with current Gopher commit, Willie Tatum. There is no shortage of lofty goals for Tatum who wants to be an All-American as well as All-Big Ten.
- AWCHA blog thinks that Lucia's seat is getting warm.