It is that time of year when every weekend is rather busy for Gopher sports. Hockey, Football and Basketball all played this weekend. Gopher football is one game from finishing their season. I don't know that we'll get a review of the Northwestern loss posted this week considering basketball has four games this week, football hosts Illinois on Saturday and of course Thanksgiving on Thursday.
A quick Gopher Football recruiting update. Who would have thought that the Iowa State and Baylor upsets over the weekend would have a direct impact on the Gophers?
- Clifford Stokes is a JUCO corner that we are heavily recruiting. Iowa State is also recruiting the fast corner and he was taking his official visit on Friday night. Yeah, he witnessed the upset of Oklahoma State. He hasn't committed yet but that experience would be hard to turn down.
- Martez Shabazz is also a JUCO defensive back we are recruiting. He took an unofficial visit to Baylor on Saturday. He got to witness the upset of Oklahoma and followed the game with an official offer from the Bears.
Neither has committed anywhere yet but I'm not feeling as confident as I was a few days ago.
But I can give you links...
- The Gopher running game had it's best game of the year with Duane Bennett and MarQueis Gray combining for 274 yards. I thought the offensive line's run blocking was very good on Saturday and then Gray made a number of big plays when pass protection broke down.
- Chicago Tribune's recap of the NU win over MN (it is nice that they aren't requiring me to purchase an online subscription to read their content).
- The good and the bad from NU's perspective.
- Doogie gives his recap of the NU loss. This was a good recap pointing out some critical mental mistakes but finding a number of true positives from the game.
- Moving on to Hockey...Nick Bjugstad recorded a hat trick and Patterson pitched another shutout on Saturday leading the Gophers to a 5-0 win over St. Cloud State on Saturday.
- The Gophers are recruiting Clint Lewis to a future blue line. The Kansas born kid who moved to Brainerd then Lakeville, who then played for Shattuck St. Mary's and is now in the USA Hockey National Team Development Program; is considering coming back to Minnesota to play some college hockey.
Minnesota Daily recaps the weekend split with SCSU.
- OK, this isn't Gopher related but I thought Oregon was an NBA grooming program where guards when to flourish. Looks like their top freshman is leaving the program. Devoe Joseph should get more playing time this way when he is eligible next month.
Gopher wrestling upset #2 Penn State over the weekend. Kevin Steinhaus upset the defending national champ in the 184-pound class. Big win for the squad.