Corn Nation has their Big Ten Countdown going and today is #51 which represents the number of times the Gophers and Huskers have played. 51 matchups are more than Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State. We know this and are looking forward to a renewed rivalry, especially if we can ever make it competitive.
Minnesota leads the series 29-20-2. At one time they led 29-6-2 until Nebraska put together its current 14-game series winning streak. So what where the early games like? Well, the first game in the series earned a footnote in the McCook Tribune. Apparently we (or someone on our team) was called the "Grophers" while Minnesota was known as the "Millers". It's interesting to see football as foot-ball and how the author makes it sound like a Shakespearean play with "heroic fights" and "tragic scores". They had 15 pounds per man on us? So in 1900, does that mean that their center was like 190 lbs?
CN has some really old article clippings. Unfortunately we have been outscored 0-104 in the last two games, hopefully we can make a better showing this fall.
- I enjoyed this look at the coaching searches at ACC schools this offseason. So often schools dramatically over value themselves, including us, and this offseason was kind of a reality check for the mighty ACC. Coaches at schools like Richmond, VCU, Harvard and Butler passed on jobs at Georgia Tech, NC State, Miami and others respectively.
- FBT tells us which Gopher targets/commits are in the recently released Rivals 250.
- Rittenberg gives his schedule analysis of the Gophers in 2011.
- OffTackleEmpire gives their 2011 bowl projections for the Big Ten. No surprise that Minnesota is not in the conversation for a bowl.
- Completely unrelated, life guards in Orange County make $200,000 per year. I could probably lifeguard and find time for blogging. Which would bring my annual salary to somewhere in the range of $200,001 - $400,000.