For the first time since a Homecoming loss to Northwestern on November 1, 2008, the Minnesota Golden Gophers football squad is ranked in the top 25 of at least one of the two major polls, finishing 25th in the latest Coaches Poll released today. In the AP Poll, the Gophers fell just outside the top 25 finishing with the 27th most votes with 60. The 25th ranked AP team was 6-3 Georgia with 78 votes, Ole Miss was just ahead of The U with 68 votes while the next closest to the Gophers were Nebraska with just 16.
The Gophers (8-2 overall, 4-2 B1G) beat Penn State yesterday 24-10 for their fourth straight conference victory, the first time they've accomplished that feat since 1973. Minnesota has a bye this week and their next opponent is Wisconsin (7-2 overall, 4-1 B1G) November 23rd at TCF Bank Stadium. The Badgers, ranked 20th in the Coaches Poll and 17th in the AP this week, host Indiana this Saturday.
Minnesota has lost nine straight to Wisconsin with their last victory against Bucky coming in 2003 when The U scored a 37-34 victory at the Metrodome.
The Gophers last won five straight Big Ten conference games in the same season in 1962.
|RANK||TEAM||RECORD||POINTS||FIRST PLACE VOTES||PREVIOUS RANK||CHANGE||HI/LOW|
More from The Daily Gopher:
- Top [redacted] Things Heard on a Gopher Football Saturday
- Minnesota Football: Gophers Defeat Penn State HIGHLIGHTS!
- Minnesota Football: Gophers Dominate Penn State, Earning 8th Win of the Season
- Gopher Basketball Recruiting: Stanford Gets Commitment From 4-star PF Reid Travis
- Minnesota Golden Gopher Basketball: Your 2013-14 Preview of Gopher Basketball