Content has been pretty bad this week, I'm blaming Jeffrick. But I suppose I've dropped the ball a bit as well. Let's get the week started on this gloomy Tuesday with some Nugz.
FIRST - If you feel charitable, feel free to head over to SB Nation's Oklahoma Sooners blog, Crimson & Cream Machine to contribute towards relief for those affected by Oklahoma tornado.
Moving on to Gopher stuff...
Gopher Baseball has earned a handful of post season awards.
Pitchers DJ Snelton and Tom Windle, both juniors and both earned first team All-Big Ten honors. There were just three starters who earned first team honors and we took up two-thirds of the spots. Clearly pitching was this team's strength, while hitting lagged. I think that Windle was pitching well enough to win the pitcher of the year award but his last couple starts were not as strong and this award went to Indiana's Aaron Slegers, and rightfully so.
On the second team was catcher, Kurt Schlangen. The senior from Albany lead the team in hitting with a .309 average.
Third team honorees were freshman, second baseman Connor Schaefbauer and senior first baseman Andy Henkemeyer. My only quibble with the Big Ten selections was how did Schaefbauer get enough votes to be considered the 3rd best second baseman in the conference but didn't earn All-Freshman team honors.
The Big Ten Tournament will be at Target Field and begins on Wednesday. Corn Nation has the bracket. And the Gophers are gearing up to try and win their 10th Big Ten Tournament title.
- In some VERY early recruiting info, Tom Brady's 5-yr old son was seen wearing a Minnesota sweatshirt. He is probably a silent verbal to coach Kill already.
- Gopher sports won the annual border battle with Wisconsin. This was our fourth win in the last five years. Too bad we can't beat them in football, that would be kind of fun.
- This is pretty awesome, despicable. This guy was an All-American tight end for Ohio State in the 70s, or he was not even on the team. Eventually people did some fact checking to discover he was a fraud. By the way, I used to play center for the Gopher basketball team. I was All-Big Ten and led us to the Final Four in 1997 (don't bother looking it up, just trust me and pay me for my autograph).
- Bob Sansevere sits down with Richard Pitino for a quick Q&A.
- Dr. Saturday looks at why Bill O'Brien still has the hardest job in college football. Interesting story.
- Dan Monson had to cut loose a few of his Long Beach players who were more trouble than they were worth.