So I'm a bit late to the party with this item, but I like the title and my fun Snagit created image and gosh durnit, it was going to get posted. Also, this GIF would have been perfect but I lack the appropriate imaging software to add the UNLV logo to it. Try not to get so mesmerized by it's awesomeness that you forget to read the rest of the post.
The Big Ten formally announced the rest of the primetime schedule this past week by putting out the games which BTN would carry in primetime. And to my great annoyance, the Gophers only grabbed 1 "night" game. Before I commence my full grumbling, let's take a look at the full primetime schedule and a breakdown of who has what # of night games, all courtesy of the WWL Blog:
UNLV at Minnesota, 7 p.m. ET
Indiana State at Indiana, 7 p.m. ET
Western Michigan at Michigan State, 8 p.m. ET
Wyoming at Nebraska, 8 p.m. ET
Syracuse at Northwestern, 6 p.m. ET
Southern Miss at Nebraska, 6 p.m. ET
Navy at Indiana, 6 p.m. ET
Notre Dame at Michigan, 8 p.m. ET, ABC or ESPN or ESPN2
UCF at Penn State, 6 p.m. ET
Washington vs. Illinois (at Soldier Field, Chicago), 6 p.m. ET
Notre Dame at Purdue, 8 p.m. ET, ABC or ESPN or ESPN2
Western Michigan at Northwestern, 9 p.m. ET
Missouri at Indiana, 8 p.m. ET
Wisconsin at Ohio State, 8 p.m. ET, ABC or ESPN or ESPN2
Ohio State at Northwestern, 8 p.m. ET, ABC or ESPN or ESPN2
Michigan at Penn State, 5 p.m. ET, ESPN or ESPN2
Wisconsin at Illinois, 8 p.m. ET
Penn State at Ohio State, 8 p.m. ET, ABC or ESPN or ESPN2
Here's the breakdown of prime-time games:
Illinois: 2 (one home, one neutral)
Indiana: 3 (all home)
Michigan: 2 (one home, one road)
Michigan State: 1 (home)
Minnesota: 1 (home)
Nebraska: 2 (both home)
Northwestern: 3 (all home)
Ohio State: 3 (two home, one road)
Penn State: 3 (two home, one road)
Purdue: 1 (home)
Wisconsin: 2 (both road)
- Am I pleased with only one night game for the Gophers?
No, not so much. I mean, we're talking about a game that was ALWAYS going to be a prime-time game. Plus, they stuck us with a 6pm local kickoff, which means it might be dark right around the start of the 4th quarter. I mean, this is the prime-time football equivalent of giving your friend $20 for their birthday when you already owed them $30.
- It could be worse though. We could be Iowa. (BTW, this sentiment applies to most things in life. When stuff sucks, just remember...you could always be in/from/traveling to/associated with Iowa.)
- Let us also take a moment to feel bad for Wisconsin. I mean, without a night game how are their fans supposed to get extra blasted to the point where opposing fans receive that extra special level of asshat vitriol? Doesn't the B1G know that they have a reputation to maintain?
- For anyone wondering why Indiana gets so many prime-time games despite being Indiana? Their AD has said he wants ALL THE NIGHT GAMES because the attendance and revenue IU sees for those games is superior to the day games. Plus more exposure and fun for the fans and whatnot. PAGING NORWOOD TEAGUE: This is a good move that you can and should emulate. Screw the neighborhood associations and their precious little fee fees.
- Also, on the topic of November night games. The B1G has said
their they're open to them yet none were scheduled. What gives?
Although commissioner Jim Delany and several athletic directors said in February that the Big Ten is open to November night games -- the league previously has operated under an agreement with its television partners not to schedule prime-time games after Nov. 1 -- there are none on this year's schedule.
"It just wasn’t aligned this year," said Big Ten senior associate commissioner for television administration Mark Rudner, who crafts the football schedule every year. "But moving forward, we'll have 'em. Whether it's in 2014 0r 2015, we'll see some."
That certainly looks like PR speak for "we didn't wanna this season and we were hoping ya'll didn't remember that February discussion." Or more likely, the people in charge of prime-time scheduling fear the dark and believe night games are an insult to the Lord of Light.
- I think my thoughts on the matter can be summarized as MOAR KNIGHT GAMEZ PLEEZE!