Nothing says outdoor hockey is coming to TCF Bank Stadium than Zubaz and thermal underwear. It's a fact.
The University of Minnesota will host the 2014 Hockey City Classic Jan. 17 at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Intersport announced today. The outdoor college hockey doubleheader will kick off with the Gopher women's hockey program taking on Minnesota State at 4:30 p.m. CT followed by the Gopher men's hockey program hosting Ohio State at 8 p.m.
Tickets for the 2014 Hockey City Classic start at $15, are valid for both games and will go on sale to the general public Oct. 22 at www.mygophersports.com or by calling 612-624-8080. The Hockey City Classic is included as part of the Minnesota season ticket package; season ticket holders will be notified by mid-September regarding seat locations and upgrade opportunities. Select stakeholders from the three participating universities will have the opportunity to purchase advance tickets in an exclusive presale. Once the presale information is finalized, each university will communicate with their respective groups. Requests for group orders of 20 or more tickets are currently being accepted at hockeycityclassic.com and will be filled prior to Oct. 22.
So none of this is huge breaking news, but it's really nice to have it made all official and everything.
Things I Like
- Outdoor hockey. It's just fun.
- The game is in January. Ice conditions should be better then Chicago in February.
- The game is at 8pm. Under the lights the whole way!
- The women's team is the first game instead of 2 other area men's teams. Back to back national titles and a NCAA record win streak means you see the outdoor ice at TCF before JBSU.
- The fact that this game is already included in the season ticket holder packs. In many cases the home school makes their STH pony up again for these non-traditional venue games.
Things I Don't Like
- It's a conference game.
- It's not happening the next day as part of Hockey Day Minnesota. The best reasoning I've heard thus far came from gopherguy05, that BTN pushed the U to make it Friday so they could broadcast it instead of the game being on FSN.
- The game is January. Zubaz are fashionable but not especially warm. And a bourbon jacket has its limitations.
- The game is at 8pm. Seriously guys, that could be chilly.
Those are my thoughts. Who can I count on to join me in a little outdoor hockey tailgating?
More from The Daily Gopher:
- Big Ten Football: What's the B1G Deal - THE GNOMES ARE BACK JACK!
- Minnesota Football: Charts and Chalk! - UNLV
- The Monday Perspective: We Won the Game But The Expectations Game Was Lost
- Minnesota Hockey: Gophers Host Ohio State in Hockey City Classic
- Minnesota Volleyball: Tori Dixon Named Big Ten Player of the Week