Light Pre-Preview Reading
Date: Saturday, October 25th
Kickoff Time: 11 AM CT
Where: Memorial Stadium, Champaign, IL
Streaming Video: WatchESPN (or the WatchESPN app for your mobile device)
Radio: KFAN (100.3 in the Twin Cities) and the Gopher Radio Network (Radio Affiliates).
Streaming Audio: Locate KFAN on IHeartRadio (or the IHeartRadio app for your mobile device)
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM 195; Sirius 113; XM 195
Spread: Minnesota by 5.5-6
For the tailgate:
For the postgame party:
Cool and sunny. Sounds like a perfect day for a football game!
Where Are They From? Champaign-Urbana, IL
All Time Series: MN leads 35-28-3
Last Game: 17-3 win by Minnesota at Illinois in 2012. Otherwise known as the game where MN got bowl eligible for the first time under Kill.
3-4 (0-3 Big Ten), with a pretty bad loss to Purdue mixed in there.
Tim Brewster Tim Beckman - Final year, dead man walking
Players to Watch:
1) Aaron Bailey (QB - Sophomore): I've got no stats to back this up. Illini fans are hanging what seems like all of their hopes on Bailey. The hopes being thrown at him are pretty large, with the general feeling seeming to be that a game where Riley O'Toole is the starter is automatically a loss. So I guess we'll see?
2) Mason Monheim (LB - Junior): 2nd on the team in tackles and third in tackles for loss. Lets face it, if Illinois is going to beat Minnesota they need to stop the run. Monheim will be key to that.
3) The rest of the defense. Seriously, Illinois has to stop Minnesota to win.
Keys to the Game:
Purdue Illinois pay for stacking the box. Using this again? Yep. If Illinois manages to stop the run and Mitch Leidner can't pass? That puts the Illini in a much better spot.
- No turnovers. I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say the Illinois MUST force some TO's in order to win. So don't help them.
- RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN. Illinois isn't good against the run. Have fun David!
How Afraid Am I?
On a scale of 1 to 5 "Brewsters on his face" (1 being not a afraid, 5 being very afraid)?
Tim Brewster doesn't fear Tim Beckman. He welcomes him as a brother.
I'm taking my cue from Brew. Minnesota isn't going to lose.
Completely Worthless Prediction:
I don't think Minnesota is a team that blows anyone else out this year. The Gophers will build a lead, sit on it, and gives up late points that makes the final score closer. Minnesota 24 - Illinois 14.