I guess we have a big game on Saturday or something...suppose we should see what people are saying about that.
Joe Christensen from the Star Tribune opens the notebook and talks about Derrick Wells being out, Jack Lynn Stepping up, and the emergence of Craig James for the Gophers.
Marcus Fuller of the Pioneer Press has his usual assortment of tout videos from practice interviewing the players. Here is De'Vondre Campbell:
And David Cobb:
David Cobb on the depth at running back in the Big Ten with Ameer Abdullah, Melvin Gordon, Tevin Coleman and others. http://t.co/gRCSPyXRdn— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) October 9, 2014
Speaking of David Cobb, here is a great article on him from ESPN.com on how he is changing his diet to prepare for the long grind of the season.
Marcus has two additional articles of note. The first is on how David Cobb and Northwestern's Justin Jackson have been important for both of their teams so far this season.
The second is on Mitch Leidner continuing to work with former Gophers and former Jerry Kill quarterbacks. Chandler Harnish has been meeting with Mitch lately since he was added to the Vikings roster.
Fox Sports North's Tyler Mason adds to that with a tweet of his own:
He also adds this on the stadium switch over which will have to be completed in about 16 hours this weekend:
A sportwriter for the Springfield Journal-Review in Springfield, Illinois wants Illinois to try and steal Jerry Kill from the Gophers this offseason, saying that Illinois is a better job than Minnesota. I think there is another Illinois alum with Big Ten experience who would be a "tremendous" candidate for the job. Bet he could find some hot chili in Champagn too..
Lets move on to other sports for a few tidbits..
Amelia Rayno of the Star Tribune has a blog post on Richard Pitino attending Timberwolves practice this past week as the guest of Flip Saunders, and how he can use somethings with his team.
She also has a Q&A with Class of 2016's Micheal Hurt from Rochester who has a Minnesota offer
Former Gopher target and brother of former Gopher Wally Ellenson, Henry Ellenson who is one of the top players in the Class of 2015 has decided to go to Marquette: Wally transferred to Marquette earlier this summer. Aww isn't that cute.
On to the puck...
The Gophers will start their season tomorrow afternoon against UMD in the opening game of the Icebreaker Classic being held at Notre Dame. DarkKnight will have a full preview of the Icebreaker tomorrow on The Daily Gopher.
Jason Gonzalez from the Star Tribune has a blog post on the Gophers preparing for the weekend, and some video clips of Gopher media availability from Wednesday.
He also has a longer article on the Gophers who decided to come back this season instead of signing professional contracts in a quest for the programs's 6th national Championship.
Tyler Mason of FS North is back with an article on Minnesota captain Kyle Rau.
Grand Donald of the Minnesota Daily has a great article on Gopher star forward Hannah Brandt.
And a look at multi-sports topics
The 2014 Minnesota M Club Hall of Fame Induction is tonight. Here who is being inducted. A pretty impressive list:
- Laura Halldorson (Women's Hockey Head Coach) - three-time National Champion and three-time National Coach of the Year
- Quincy Lewis (Men's Basketball) - All-American, Big Ten scoring champion, top six all-time in program history for points and steals
- Pat Micheletti (Men's Hockey) - All-American, second all-time in program history for goals and points, third all-time in assists
- Tanya Schuh (Women's Swimming) - Nine-time All-American, six-time Big Ten champion, Big Ten Athlete of the Year (1996)
- Bernie Zeruhn (Men's Swimming) - Second-most decorated swimmer in Minnesota history, 17-time All-American, three-time Big Ten individual champion
- Bill Light (Football) - Two-time First Team All-Big Ten selection, graduated as program's all-time leading tackler, still holds single-game and single-season tackle records
- Keita Cline (Men's Track and Field) - Five-time Big Ten champion, two-time All-American and two-time Olympian
- Kari Blank (Softball) - First softball player in school history to be named three-time All-Big Ten, co-Big Ten Player of the Year (1991)
- George Tuck (Men's Basketball) - First All-American basketball player at Minnesota, led team to 29 consecutive victories to begin his career
- Frank McCormick (Baseball Head Coach, Director of Athletics) - Led baseball team to a pair of Big Ten titles as head coach while also serving as director of athletics, left Minnesota to serve in World War II and returned following the war
- Bob Hanning (Men's Gymnastics) - Two-time All-American, Minnesota's first-ever NCAA Champion gymnast (parallel bars)
- Jim Hill (Men's Swimming) - Two-time NCAA Champion, including both an individual championship (150 backstroke) and a relay championship (300 medley relay)
- Ken Haycraft (Football) - All-American, two-time All-Big Ten, member of 1927 Big Ten Championship team
Expect to see them honored on the field at halftime of the Gopher/ Northwestern game on Saturday as well.
Sam Kraemer of the Minnesota Daily has an article looking at what makes a great coach. The article has some good quotes from Norwood Teague and other Gopher players in various sports.
So that does it for today. Plenty of content out there for sure. Enjoy and get ready for a very busy Gopher Sports Weekend!