clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

2014 Frozen Four Championship Final Score: Union 7, Minnesota 4

The first period featured six goals and ended with the Gophers in a 4-2 hole. They were never able to recover.


The Minnesota Golden Gophers did not start this game out on the right foot.  Brady Skjei took a roughing penalty less than 20 seconds into the game.  Penalty's would become a trend for the Gophers who found themselves in the penalty box much more frequently than usual.

Justin Kloos put the Gophers ahead early, burying a rebound.

Shayne Gostisbehere would tie the game on a wrist shot over Adam Wilcox's glove midway through the third period.    He would be a recurring theme for the Union.

Sam Warning put Minnesota back in front thirty second later on a zero-angle shot through traffic.  That was the high point of the game.

In the first period, Union managed twenty shots on goal.  Three of those shots would go in over the course of two minutes, all but officially ending Minnesota's championship bid.

Minnesota had a relatively good second period, which they won 1-0, giving Minnesota fans a reason to believe that a comeback was possible.  Taylor Cammarata scored on a rebound early in the period, putting away a rebound off of Colin Stevens.

The rest of the period would only feature penalties.  Brady Skjei picked up his second of the game on a boneheaded hit after the whistle.  Shortly after that penalty kill ended successfully, Jake Parenteau was called for slashing.

It's really hard to stage a comeback shorthanded.

That simple fact seemed to escape the Gophers, and they would take three penalties in the third period.  Somehow, Union managed to score five goals without scoring on the power play.

Unions Max Novak would bury the dagger into Minnesota's heart five minutes into the third on a redirected pass on a three on two rush.  The game stood at 5-3.

Hudson Fashing would score a power play goal with about four minutes remaining, but it wouldn't be enough.  Kevin Sullivan put the game out of reach, beating Wilcox through the five hole.

Matt Bodie added an empty net goal with about a minute left, and Union's celebration was on.

It was a very disappointing end to a very good season for the Gophers.  Come back to The Daily Gopher for more reactions and Gopher hockey coverage.