The bowl game problems continue. There have been many exciting moments for Minnesota fans but even more moments that make you shake your head and grumble. Truly an odd game for me. I'm not sure that I'm capable of giving a great summary of this game without some time to breathe.
I must try however, so here are my quick thoughts:
- As I'm typing, the Gophers just missed another tackle and gave up a huge run on a series when they had to have a stop. There were just too many moments today when the defense didn't quite get it done. Especially in the run game.
- What's frustrating about that is that early in the game the defense was dominating. Also frustrating is that it's not like the defense was getting rolled all the time as things turned (though they've been getting rolled plenty). They were often in the right place at the right time and would simply fail to make the play or fail to make the play soon enough.
- Special teams, usually the strong point for the Gophers, has been a nightmare overall. Peter Mortell wasn't punting well (though it never ended up hurting the Gophers badly). Missouri was able to convert a FAT GUY fake punt direct snap and an onside kick to open the 2nd half.
Poor tackling and stupid mistakes. That is the difference in this game— Matt O'Connell (@MattOConnellGI) January 1, 2015
- What Matt said.
- The Gophers played fast and loose with fumbles on offense much of the game, and twice it hurt them badly.
- It's not all bad though. On the whole, Mitch was fantastic. As of the time I type this he is completing 70% of his passes.
@jdmill We suck at bowls. but if we have to choose sucking in bowls or sucking in reg season I take sucking in bowls.— Andy York (@yorka1982) January 1, 2015
- Well, if forced to choose I agree with Andy. Still hate sucking at bowls though.
- There will be a lot to talk about after this one. This was a completely winnable game, but Minnesota found about every way possible to lose.
- Going to end on a high note because I there were some truly great moments today and I don't want them to be forgotten. Especially this one. Heart you Maxx!
Seriously. GOOD LORD MAXX! https://t.co/1Vkiiv1XLK— Chris H. (@GoAUpher) January 1, 2015
No matter what...