With the Big Ten title on the the line, their most hated rivals skating on their home ice, the Minnesota Gophers lost 4-3. Ugh.
Before we go any further, I just want to say that I love the fact that the PiPress has started to have Nate Wells cover Gopher Hockey. I'm going to wait on thoughts because you really should go read Nate's well written recap.
Ok, here we go.
1) Y U NO COME TO PLAY AGAINST YOUR BIGGEST RIVALS WITH A TITLE ON THE LINE GOPHERS?
2) We'll write about this more, but games like this are what make people think about a (still likely) championship season as a failure versus a disappointment. I'm not one of those people, but I can understand what drives the thinking.
3) Wisconsin is terrible. Maybe tonight we play like we're better than our biggest rival hmmmm?
B1G Title Scenarios
With Michigan's dominant 7-1 victory over Penn State last night the Gophers are a mere 1 point up on the Wolverines. Here are the title scenarios:
- The only way the Gophers can clinch an outright title is to win tonight.
- Minnesota would still hang a banner with a tie and a shootout win, but it could be a co-championship with Michigan.
- Anything else and the Gophers will need Michigan's help to win at least a share of a Big Ten Title.
When: 7:00 pm CT
Where: A hopefully raucous Mariucci Arena
TV: Big Ten Network
Radio: ESPN 1500