Gopher Baseball was eliminated last night with an 8-2 loss to Texas A&M. The Gophers actually out-hit the Aggies 8-6 but it was 7 walks that really doomed the pitchers, especially Matt Fiedler who had 5 walks in his 4 innings pitched.
Really it was a great season for the Gophers and I truly enjoyed watching them this year. Should be interesting to see which guys come back as they have a lot of talented players who could be returning. It all depends on the draft and where certain guys are taken. Terrin Vavra (FR), Micah Coffey (SO), Austin Athmann (JR) and Jordan Smith (JR) all had very good Regionals and may have boosted their draft stock. Could be a very good team if they and Matt Fiedler decided to come back for another season.
- Cool New York Times piece on John Kundla. Former Gopher, former coach of Minneapolis Lakers and is a "forgotten legend of basketball." Kundla played for the Gophers in the 30s and came back to coach them in the 60s.
- By the way, guess where the SEC pitcher of the year is from? If you guessed Coon Rapids then you cheated! Clearly there are some really good baseball players that come out of Minnesota. Would love to know the story here and why Logan Shore couldn't be convinced to play for the Gophers.
- Wake's SBN blog (great guys btw) recapped the Gopher win over Wake.
- Gopher Women's Track and Field are sending 8 to the NCAA Championships, tied for most in the program's history. The women will compete this weekend in Eugene, OR.
- On the Men's side, the 4x400 relay team also qualified.
- OTE Mailbag on Minnesota. READ THIS.
That's all I've got today. Hats off to Gopher baseball for a great season.