Some Friday Nugz to kick off your Holiday Weekend!
I'll start with some Gopher Olympic news.
- 6 Gopher men and 6 Gopher women (current and former) will compete in Oregon this weekend attempting to earn a spot on the US Olympic Track and Field team.
- This STrib article is a good one on the sacrifices and challenges of trying to live the dream of making the Olympics.
- Finally, David Plummer is a former Gopher who has already earned a spot on the US Swim team.
- Jalen Myrick gets some love as being the fastest player in the Big Ten according to this NFL.com article. The top listed player from a B1G school and 13th overall.
- Mark Coyle has made a couple additions to the Athletic Department staff by adding a Deputy AD in charge of Finance and a Deputy AD in charge of Administration. Both have been with Coyle at both Boise and Syracuse.
- Some pretty big news for Gopher fans who follow recruiting. Gopher Illustrated has ported over to from the Rivals network to the Scout network and GI is replacing Gopher Digest. Got that? Basically the main guys at Rivals have moved together to now be at Scout. Ryan Burns made the move a year ago and now Ryan James (basketball coverage) and Aaron Johnson (founder of GI) are joining him in a move that was orchestrated long ago. It is going to be hard to beat the recruiting coverage you'll find at the new GopherIllustrated.
- Speaking of staff transitions on websites, Building the Dam is Oregon State's SBN blog and they are going through a leadership transition. I bring them up only because the Gophers play the Beavers this Fall and it is a good idea to check out Building the Dam occasionally to see what those busy Beavers are up to.
- And speaking of previewing the Beavers, ESPN has done just that for Gopher fans.
- Finally, be sure to keep an eye on CanisHoopus as the Timberwolves dive into NBA Free Agency today.
And I will point you all to this one more time only because I use this ALL THE TIME now that it is up and running.
(to access from home page it is under Library at the top)