Gopher tackle Jonah Pirsig battled through injuries but still ended up Third Team All-Big Ten. His measurables look awfully good to NFL teams who hope that he can be coached up to be an undervalued player who could possibly contribute. If he is drafted, he would be the first Gopher OL drafted since Greg Eslinger and Mark Setterstrom in 2006.
Weight: 314 Lbs
40 Yard Dash: 5.38 Seconds
Bench Press: 20 Reps
Vertical Jump: 27”
Broad Jump: 8’ 6”
Pirsig was not invited to the combine but performed at Minnesota’s Pro Day in March. HIs measurables are not great compared to a lot of other potential OL, but his size drips with potential.
Below is video from Pirsig against Nebraska in 2015. Its the best video available that shows his skills.
- Size. Pirsig has the prototypical build for an offensive tackle in the NFL. Wide shoulders, long arms, and a relative trim middle.
- Balance. Pirsig has good knee bend for a player his size and keeps good balance while being engaged.
- Arm Strength. Pirsig used his long arms well in blocking. He can use them to steer opponents away, and coupled with his leg strength is a prototypical pancake blocker.
- Agility. Struggles against speed rushers. Missing the ability to get a quick burst off of the line.
- Maintaining blocks— Pirsig has limited lateral speed and while good on an initial contact, he does not move well in space and adjusting to a moving target.
Pirsig has been getting some attention from the Bills in workouts. Buffalo could use offensive line help.
The Vikings have seen Pirsig plenty and need offensive line help A 7th round flyer or Pirsig would not be out of character for them..
The Packers brough in Pirsig for a visit. They also need offensive line help and if they think Pirsig could be a late round steal he could be in green and gold
Pirsig has the ideal size for an NFL offensive tackle, but lacks the agility needed in the current game. While agility can’t be taught, a good training and conditioning staff might be able to mold Pirsig into a potential NFL backup. He won’t see a lot of time right away and may have to pay his dues on a practice squad, but Pirsig should have a fair shot to make a roster out of training camp.
Projection: 7th Round or Undrafted Free Agent