Alabama defensive tackle O.J. Smith has officially announced that he is transferring to play for the Minnesota Gophers! This is a big get for Coach Fleck and his staff, as defensive tackle is a position of extreme need in the coming years. Having a big transfer come to Minnesota is a relatively unique thing for the Gophers that hasn’t happened a lot in the past.
Getting to know O.J. Smith
- O.J. was a 247 Composite 3 star recruit who was an ESPN 4 star ranked 215th in ESPN’s Top 300 recruits.
- Was a 2014 Under Armour All-American Game participant
- Is from Bossier City, LA
- He’s 6’2” and 309 lbs.
- Had played sparingly for Alabama up to this point.
- Has already used his RS year, so will have one year of eligibility remaining
- Will need to sit out the 2017 season
Don’t be worried about the 1 year of eligibility thing. Defensive line, particularly defensive tackle is a part of the Gophers roster where WE NEED GOOD BODIES. This is a guy who has had the opportunity to start his development at Alabama, who provides size and measurables, and who will be eligible to play in a key position at a key time for the Gophers. Consider me excited!