The Gophers took care of business in the non-conference slate of their schedule with a 34-3 victory over Middle Tennessee State to improve to 3-0. The Gophers once again rode their defense to the lopsided win. But what do we really know about this team as they head into the bye week?
On the surface nothing has really changed offensively. The schemes may have changed but so far they have rode the running game and pounded the opponents into submission.
- As devisive as Mitch Leidner was, I’ll let you decide if this is a compliment or a criticism. Conor Rhoda has essentially been a more accurate version of Leidner, but without the running threat.
- Tyler Johnson is a star in the making. Demetrius Douglas has shown flashes of what he can become. But the WR core still needs more playmakers to step up.
- Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks...and Kobe McCrary. We haven’t seen the big runs...yet...but you are as good as advertised.
I may not have agreed with the way Tracy Claeys went about being a Head Coach, but I will never criticize him for the defense he and Jay Sawvel built here. That said, Robb Smith has taken things to another level.
- They are physical along the line, yet fast off the edges.
- My goodness those linebackers.
- The defensive backs have given up a few plays, which will happen, but have improved every game.
- All-in-all this defense flys around, swarms to the ball and is punishing on contact.
So what does all of this tell us? Honestly, I’m not sure what it tells us. I still feel like they are holding back offensively. We know from this staff’s time at Western Michigan they have only shown a fraction of their offense so far. As obnoxiously good as the defense has been, especially in the second half of games, I still feel like they too have been holding back. Yet, they have won the last two games by a combined score of 65 points. Put that all together and it makes me buy into this staff even more. The future is bright friends. The future is real bright.
Ok, onto what really matters, this weeks Stroll Through Twitterland. The main hashtags for this week are:
- This is totally unaccetable @GobieMN. This number MUST be under 50 yards going forward. Change your best defense. Change your best! #SarcasmFont
- Clearly @baileytherapy13 Knows what he is talking about because those helmets were fire emoji.
- Local celebrities have grabbed an oar and buying in.
- ...and another,,,
- @douggoon Love it! Can’t help but smile when I see something like this.
- Well did she change her best and sleep longer @ashleymdahlke ?
- Former Gopher football player @MrThorman getting his son hooked early.
- Gooooo banana, go, go bananas. I absolutely loved the full banana look. @AlexanderMcD10
- Time for our weekly, I don’t know what the future will hold under Fleck but it will never be boring moment.
- Last but certainly not least, in case you missed this, there is a Broken Chair-ity fundraiser to raise money for UMN Masonic Children’s Hospital and Team Jack down in Lincoln. Please give @5buck_Chair_ity a follow for news regarding this fantastic idea.
There you have it, this weeks Stroll. What were your thoughts on the MTSU game? What do you think of the team through three games? Any major concerns? Anything you’re excited about?