The Minnesota Golden Gophers announced this morning that their spring game will be held at noon on Saturday, April 14, at TCF Bank Stadium. The game is free and open to the public.
A couple reasons to attend:
- It’s our last gasp of football before the summer-long wait begins.
- This glorified scrimmage will represent our first glimpse of the Gophers’ quarterback competition between redshirt sophomore Seth Green, sophomore Vic Viramontes, redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan, and freshman Zack Annexstad (I don’t know about you, but I’m certainly not counting out the walk-on Minnesota native who spurned scholarship offers to come here and compete for the starting spot).
- First look at two transfers who will be eligible in the fall. Former Florida Gator cornerback Chris Williamson will be competing for a starting spot on defense, as will defensive tackle O.J. Smith, formerly of the Alabama Crimson Tide.
- Six early enrollees are already on campus, and you’ll hopefully be able to see them in action at the spring game. The list includes the aforementioned Viramontes and Annexstad plus defensive end Alex Reigelsperger, linebacker Thomas Rush, and offensive linemen Curtis Dunlap and Daniel Faalele.
- It’s a brief respite from the soul-crushing reality that to exist is to suffer.