It would be a lot easier to feel good about a win vs. Maryland this weekend if I had full confidence that Zack Annexstad was going to be playing for the Gophers. Let’s just say I find Coach Fleck’s public statements on the matter (combined with his preference to make injury decisions clear at kickoff) less than inspiring.
What? It’s a cat riding a turtle! The gnomes were supposed to pass on posting that even though it has no relevance to their feelings of excitement and confusion about how this game is supposed to go? Just look at the kitty on the turtle and be happy.
When & Where
Date: Saturday, September 22nd
Kickoff Time: 11:00 am CT
Where: Capitol One Field at Maryland Stadium, College Park, MD
Watch & Listen
TV: Big Ten Network
Streaming Video: BTN2Go (or the BTN2Go app for your mobile device)
Radio: KFAN (100.3) in the Twin Cities) and the Gopher Radio Network (Radio Affiliates).
Streaming Audio: Locate KFAN on IHeartRadio (or the IHeartRadio app for your mobile device)
- Sirius: 133 (Streaming 957)
- XM: 195 (Streaming 957)
- SiriusXM: 195 (Streaming 957)
Spread: Minnesota is currently a 2.5 to 3 point underdog.
Partly cloudy, mid 70’s.
Where Are They From? College Park, MD
All Time Series: 2-1 in favor of Maryland.
Last Game: A 31-24 Maryland win versus the Gophers in Minneapolis last year.
SB Nation Blog: Testudo Times
This Season: 2-1
Keys to the game
- Zack Annexstad needs to play. And if he plays he needs to be alive and healthy the entire time. Hopefully Zack is healed enough to play effectively on Saturday. And if he is then the offensive line needs to not practice their Matt Kalil impersonations during the game. Yes, I know Halloween is coming up and you’re busy guys but there are more appropriate times to work on that.
- Shut down Maryland’s running game. I think Minnesota can feast against an inconsistent and weak Maryland passing attack, but first they need to shut down the Terps on the ground and force them to pass. If they do that I have visions of Terell Smith and Antoine Winfield Jr. making big plays dancing in my head.
- Be solid on special teams. The non-conference allowed all of the Gophers specialists to put on a clinic in a least one game. I think this one is going to be close, which means we need them to be solid (not spectacular, but solid) all game long.
How afraid am I?
On a scale of 1 to 5 “Brewsters on his face” (1 being not a afraid, 5 being very afraid)?
I’m “two Brewsters about to be trampled by a giant tortoise” afraid of Maryland.***
*PLEASE NOTE: This is totally changing to 4 Brews if Annexstad isn’t healthy.
Minnesota 20 - Maryland 17**