And we get to game 5 of participation for the Gopher freshmen. This is when things get interesting. Ok, so probably only a little bit interesting. After last season where a number of true freshmen were heavily relied upon, we are really looking at the long snapper, kicker and a couple reserve defensive players.
First off we have the announcement that Donald Willis is going to participate in one more game (his 4th) before he is going to be shut down for the year so that he can retain his redshirt.
Also interesting that in the final couple series against Illinois the Gophers didn’t choose to put one of their freshman quarterbacks into the game. Probably wise from a redshirting standpoint. What if Morgan is injured for the final 4 games of the season and you blew a redshirt on Cole Kramer to hand the ball off 6 times against Illinois.
Here is where we stand through 5 games.
Participated in at Least One Game
- RB - Cam Wiley (1) - 11 carries for 32 yards while appearing in the Georgia Southern game.
- LB - Donald Willis (3) - has 1 tackle on the season, didn’t play against Illinois, will play 1 more
- LB - James Gordon IV (1) - played in the Illinois game
Has Exceeded 4 Games
- DB - Tyler Nubin (5) - on the participation report for all five games, recorded his first tackle against Illinois
- LS - Brady Weeks (5)
- K - Michael Lantz (5)
Has Not Yet Participated (only scholarship players listed)
- QB - Cole Kramer
- QB - Jacob Clark
- RB - Treyson Potts
- RB - Jason Williamson - injured and won’t play this season
- WR - Mike Brown-Stephens
- WR - Nnamdi Adim-Madumere
- OL - Tyler Cooper
- OL - JJ Guedet
- DE - MJ Anderson
- DL - D’Vion Harris
- DL - Rashad Cheney Jr.
- DL - Logan Richter
- DL - DeAngelo Carter
- DB - Solomon Brown
- QB - Zack Annexstad - injured, if he plays 4 or fewer games he will come into next season as a redshirt sophomore.
- RB - Bryce Williams (2) - played most of 2nd half against Georgia Southern and in the Illinois game
- S - Benny Sapp III (4)
- CB - Terrell Smith (5) - will likely play all season
- LB - Mariano Sori-Marin (5) - will likely play all season
- LB - Thomas Rush (5) - will likely play all season
- DT - Jamaal Teague (5) - will likely play all season