That was a really dumb game. I mean, I’m super happy because thanks to Antoine Winfield Jr. we’re talking about a 38-35 Minnesota win over Fresno State. But still, that was a very, very silly game and after this week we do not need to speak of it again unless we’re watching the Winfield walk off INT or that Chris Autman-Bell TD catch.
It’s like super super late (or early, I guess at this point on the East Coast it counts as early) so I’m going to make this as quick as I can. Basically it boils down to the following: 1) If Minnesota plays this dumb in the Big Ten they will lose many games. 2) I do not think they will play this dumb all year long. 3) Most of the really dumb stuff is fixable. 4) They already fixed some things in the past week, but not enough of them and more work is needed.
Winning remains better than the alternative. Just as Nebraska (lol).
THINGS THAT WERE DUMB
- Second chances for Fresno. Hi Gophers. Here are some things you shouldn’t do when forcing a 3 and out. Rough the passer. Facemask a dude 79 yards away from the play after the play is over. Um, there were other examples. All of them dumb. Please stop it.
- The ball is the program, only infected with ebola. OH GOOD LORD THE TURNOVERS. PLEASE NO MORE.
- Running into a box that has something like 72 defenders in it. That’s bad. What’s worse is that it appeared to happen multiple times as a sideline called audible. We have the best WR corp this program has ever had at a single time. They are making amazing plays. Use them more effectively please.
- We should have known what was coming when the first commercial break included Catheter Man.
Jeebus @CBSSportsNet, even BTN never falls this low. pic.twitter.com/RtoysgSAP8— Elite Student Newspaper Guy (@GoAUpher) September 8, 2019
HAPPY DANCE THINGS
- These helmets. STRAIGHT FIRE WITH THE GOLDY GOPHER LIDS.
Prepared for takeoff. pic.twitter.com/AoLTdi113H— Minnesota Football (@GopherFootball) September 7, 2019
- This play. Have yourself a party CAB! (also nice work Tanner Morgan)
JUST HOW?— CBS Sports Network (@CBSSportsNet) September 8, 2019
4th and 13 @gopherfootball TIE it up!!! pic.twitter.com/jUzZlra2Ew
- This shot.
Halftime on the West Coast. #MINNvsFS pic.twitter.com/Hj9bkS7ZTp— Minnesota Football (@GopherFootball) September 8, 2019
- This face.
PJ will not be sending a Christmas card to the side judge pic.twitter.com/iQToHlxZUv— Paid man gets bored (@cjzero) September 8, 2019
- This shade.
Did anyone see Fresno State’s new mascot? #SkiUMah #RTB pic.twitter.com/Uka5xU92EL— Mr.Thor〽️an (@MrThorman) September 8, 2019
- This call. Heart you Grimm.
ANTOINE WINFIELD JR. BALL GAME. @AntoineWJr11 comes up with the game-winning interception to give @GopherFootball the 38-35 win in ✌️ OTs at Fresno State!!!— Learfield IMG College Audio (@IMGAudio) September 8, 2019
LISTEN to how it ended with @MikeGrimm3’s call ⤵️#Gophers https://t.co/oIbIlYiuzR
- ANTOINE. WINFIELD. JUNIOR.
WHAT A GAME! WHAT A GAME!@GopherFootball defense comes up CLUTCH!— CBS Sports Network (@CBSSportsNet) September 8, 2019
Golden Gophers 38 Bulldogs 35 pic.twitter.com/oyiwHK9GsC
Also, special hat-tip to wildcat00 for the Deja Winfield thing.