For now the debate as to whether or not Mark Coyle will terminate the contract for Richad Pitino is over. Sources are telling multiple members of the media that Pitino will return for his 8th season as head coach of the Gophers.
The debate over what Mark Coyle “should” have done is still there, but he will get another season.
The last 5 seasons have really been a roller coaster for the Golden Gopher program.
- 2015-16 - 8-23 for one of the worst seasons in membory
- 2016-17 - 24-10 and earned a 5-seed in the NCAA Tournament, finishing with the best Big Ten record since Dan Monson went 10-6 in 2004-05
- 2017-18 - a promising season that derailed, finishing 15-17 overall and 4-14 in the Big Ten
- 2018-19 - rebounded again to a 22-14 season and an upset win in the NCAA Tournament
- 2019-20 - a team that finished 15-16 and struggled to win in the final month of the season
So by recent trends, the 2020-21 season should be a good one. And Richard Pitino will be given the opportunity to show it. I think it is safe to assume that his seat will be rather warm heading into next season, but Mark Coyle is giving him his 8th season at Minnesota.