After week 1 the Gopher optimism was still relatively high and the perception of Nebraska was that this ship was burning while also taking on a lot of water. It was just a matter of time before Scott Frost blamed his players for not being prepared as his S.S. Nebraska ship sank.
But despite being just 2-4 the Cornhuskers appear to be playing better and they are favored on the road at Minnesota. So what will it take for the Gophers to overcome?
- Stop Adrian Martinez - This guy accounts for 64% of the team’s offensive yardage and 19 of the team’s 30 touchdowns. Primarily, keep this guy contained on the ground and make him throw the ball.
- Offensive Line needs to show up - Minnesota is on to our third running back and we seem to be allergic to passing the ball. The ground game can still be extremely productive if the OL shows up and dominates. They are capable, they just haven’t been very consistent lately.
- Offensive creativity - I’m very tired of the current offensive system and play-calling. But we have a proven quarterback, we have capable receivers and we have shown an awful passing philosophy. That needs to change. Run plays that keep the defense off balance and takes advantage of what we’re given.
OPPOSING PLAYERS TO WATCH
- #2 QB - Adrian Martinez - As mentioned above, he accounts for the Nebraska offense and must be stopped.
- #42 LB - Nick Henrick - Always around the ball and needs to be accounted for.
Part of me thinks that just because Nebraska has been close to beating good teams, doesn’t mean they are a good team. And I kind of think they are going to be in a major hangover following yet ANOTHER tragic loss because of their own mistakes.
But I’m really not feeling the Gophers right now. I am going to go with Nebraska for now,
Minnesota - 23
Nebraska - 34