We do not get to watch the Gophers in this year’s NCAA Tournament, but that does not negate the fact (FACT) that these next four days are the best four days of the year for sports fans.
Day 1 is full of some great games. Here are my picks for what to watch and who is going to win.
Best Games of the Day
- 5-Colorado vs. 4-Florida State - This should be a great game. The only Pac-12 team playing better than Colorado right now is Oregon State. But the Buffs have a great shot at knocking off the Seminoles.
- 6-USC vs. 3-Kansas - Here’s another opportunity for the Pac-12 to knock off a good team from another P5 conference. Kansas really hasn’t been that impressive and an opponent with a great defensive big man (Evan Mobley) might be kryptonite for the Jayhawks, who really cannot shoot very well.
- 14-Abilene Christian vs 11-UCLA - I’ll go with the Wildcats again here. As I mentioned before, they are elite at forcing turnovers and very good at making threes. Against Texas they came through on their turnover generating prowess, but they were 3/18 from three. A stat that would make Richard Pitino proud. The Bruins do not have a problem with turnovers (rank 40th in the country) but they really suck at defending the three (rank 225th). Watch the Wildcats shoot great today and not only get to the Sweet 16, but they do it with a different method.
- 7-Oregon vs. 2-Iowa - I don’t really think Oregon is going to win, but the Pac-12 is dominating.
Player I’m Excited to Watch
- Evan Mobley - USC - His matchup with David McCormack is going to be fun to watch.
- Luka Garza - Iowa - Oregon didn’t get to play their first round game and their starting big man is 6’6”. Garza might have 89 points this afternoon.