The Gophers need some Big Ten caliber guards on the roster and they just got one back.
Payton Willis is returning to Minnesota. He is the latest Gopher commit— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) April 16, 2021
I am well aware that Ben Johnson and staff are scouring the transfer portal to fill out their 2021-22 roster, but I didn’t see this one coming.
Payton Willis has had an unusual collegiate career, but we now know where he’ll finish out his career.
- 2016-17 - A freshman for Vanderbilt, starting 12 games
- 2017-18 - played in 31 games, starting 4 for Vandy
- 2018-19 - transferred to Minnesota but sat out due to NCAA transfer rules
- 2019-20 - started 25 games for Minnesota averaging 8.9 points per game
- 2020-21 - transferred to Charleston, started all 19 games, averaged 13.4 ppg
And now he will get a rare 6th season of eligibility (thanks Covid), he is choosing to come back to play for Ben Johnson. With all of the perimeter players who have left the program, guards has been a concern for next year’s roster. Willis adds an experienced guard with 4 years of high-major experience.
Welcome back, Payton Willis.