Fun fact, Northwestern is the 4th most-played rivalry for Minnesota, following Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan. This will be the 98th meeting between the two programs and this is the best win % that the Gophers have over any Big Ten program (excluding Chicago).
How to Watch
Stream: FoxSports app
Minnesota has won 3 in a row over the Wildcats, can they extend that streak to 4?
- Darius Taylor - All day long, run Taylor. Use the run to set up the pass. I think we have confidence in a running game, which has been the formula for success under Fleck.
- Find scoring - The lowest-scoring team in the Big Ten is your Golden Gophers at 17 ppg. And they trail the 13th team by over 2 points per game. They move the ball better, but scoring has been a problem. This offense needs a breakout game.
- Improve passing accuracy - As mentioned, use the run to set up the pass, but then we need an accurate night from Athan Kaliakmanis.
OPPOSING PLAYERS TO WATCH
- #8 WR/Ret - AJ Hennings - 9 carries with a rushing touchdown, 11 receptions with a receiving touchdown and over 26 average yards per kick return. This guy is their most explosive player on the field and we just need to keep him from having any explosive plays.
- #42 DE - Anto Saka - Sophomore edge rusher who comes off the bench but Saka has 2 sacks on the season. Just keep him off the quarterback, please.
This is a game that Minnesota should win. Currently 11-point favorites mostly because Northwestern is kind of a mess right now. A 1-win team a year ago that didn’t exactly appear to be an improved team and that was before they lost their head coach to hazing allegations in August.
I think this is the game where the offense starts to get going.
Minnesota - 31
Northwestern - 20